Likes Likes:  49
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" watches?

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Retirement hasn’t resulted in me trying to cull the herd, I still enjoy the variety. But I did, through big trades like for the Credor, reduce the number of dressy watches significantly, since I have less need for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was happy to see the last time you posted a STOC that you had more watches than me. In my head I have a list of cuts that I would do. I still will take the Daytona and SkyDweller if they come in, and Rob indicated I’ll get the 321 Speedmaster next year now that Omega will build some more than the 100 they did. I need to fully fund the gold Yachtmaster on the black rubber strap and decide which gold I want. I did look at getting a gold Daytona with the green dial but that works out to be the same price as the gold YM and the SS panda Daytona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I was happy to see the last time you posted a STOC that you had more watches than me. In my head I have a list of cuts that I would do. I still will take the Daytona and SkyDweller if they come in, and Rob indicated I’ll get the 321 Speedmaster next year now that Omega will build some more than the 100 they did. I need to fully fund the gold Yachtmaster on the black rubber strap and decide which gold I want. I did look at getting a gold Daytona with the green dial but that works out to be the same price as the gold YM and the SS panda Daytona.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    True, although half of my collection consists of less expensive (<$1500) pieces…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything I buy is unaffordable cos I'm in loads of debt but f*** it, yolo.
    Last edited by geoffbot; Mar 27, 2023 at 01:50 PM.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Everything I buy is unaffordable cos I'm in loads of debt but f*** it, yolo.
    The great thing about watches is that, unlike many things, a shrewd watch purchase will hold its value, sometimes more, sometimes less, like anything else. The liquidity may be a bit treacle, but the value in watches isn't debt, it's a saving plan!

I'm currently in thrall to a boring Apple watch, but while I can happily buy 25 different variants on a 6B, the idea of more than one apple watch losing value in inverse proportion to Moore's law just seems as daft as gambling

As it happens, I was just reminded of the £20 challenge:

. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204287477825

5. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The great thing about watches is that, unlike many things, a shrewd watch purchase will hold its value, sometimes more, sometimes less, like anything else. The liquidity may be a bit treacle, but the value in watches isn't debt, it's a saving plan!

I'm currently in thrall to a boring Apple watch, but while I can happily buy 25 different variants on a 6B, the idea of more than one apple watch losing value in inverse proportion to Moore's law just seems as daft as gambling

have contemplated doing one but it's some work so would want at least a good ten entries more would be better did have an idea of doing a thread titled create a more for a score badge 2023 to build up some interest first and to give it afresh new badge but thats as far as I thought of it so far
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes Matt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

This is true. I made a profit on my omega I think

9. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    This is true. I made a profit on my omega I think

After you drowned it too.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    I think I see a mild consensus here. $250-$500.
    I think that's as good a line in the sand as any.

For enthusiasts I have always viewed affordable as meaning <$1k. For the general public, I think affordable is <$100...
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500 | Sinn 856S UTC | Sinn 1746 Klassik | Sinn 6096 Finanzplatzuhren
    Instagram: @_radharc_

12. Likes Mediocre, Kronos liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    After you drowned it too.
    Yep! Sold to a dealer so don't feel guilty...

Yep! Sold to a dealer so don't feel guilty...
    Erm... Rinse and repeat?

Call me The Enabler!

15. Likes geoffbot liked this post