Likes Likes:  123
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WRUW Monday 27th. March

Thanks.

It's quite relative. All the roads are still open, traffic flows even though a bit slower and nobody got trapped. Ploughs do usually very good work, but I guess they are running out of drivers when snowing continues for several shifts. They'd have to start all over again before finishing the first round. It's slowing down now, so I'll go and dig my car out so it's easier in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    @Fantasio, I'm surprised your snowplows can't keep up, must really be nuts. Glad you're home and relaxing.

2. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Thanks.

It's quite relative. All the roads are still open, traffic flows even though a bit slower and nobody got trapped. Ploughs do usually very good work, but I guess they are running out of drivers when snowing continues for several shifts. They'd have to start all over again before finishing the first round. It's slowing down now, so I'll go and dig my car out so it's easier in the morning.
    Big advantage of retirement in this type of climate. "Ooooh, that looks ugly. Guess I'll stay home today."

4. Likes Fantasio, geoffbot liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With a shout out to @Sedi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post

With a shout out to @Sedi.
    Nice! Did you get the LIW-M700 yet?
    Cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Touche.

Just curious to learn what lead you to same decision.

It didn’t make me smile enough.

Sometimes it’s hard to be more precise than that, but I’ll have a go. I have some inexpensive watches that can’t hold a candle to the GS, but they have character, and that keeps me interested in them. The GS is refined to the point that it can melt away and go unnoticed. That might be exactly what you want with some watches, but maybe not with a sports model. There are few watches more competent than the 9F GMT, but there are more endearing things than competence.

The bracelet annoyed me. I should have been able to find a comfortable fit, despite the non-adjustable clasp, but I never did. There are half-links to play with, but I can hardly see the screws, let alone insert one the right way up to re-attach a link. It was too much aggravation, as was going to the jewellers where they have the equipment - and the skill. I tried straps, then thought I’d have one more go at swapping some links, and then thought - sod it.

As soon as I thought ‘sod it’, I was content to move on. It’s a marvellous watch, but when it’s over, it’s over.

8. Likes Kronos, Fantasio, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Nice! Did you get the LIW-M700 yet?
    Yup! It should make an appearance soon.

10. Likes Sedi liked this post
    Blog Entries

Switched to this diver Monday night when I had to head downtown on what turned out to be a rainy evening. Hardly required, but a good excuse to strap on a dive watch.

Makes sense, I think watches should make you smile and feel fuzzy inside. I think SBGN003 was a great travel watch with perfect specs, but somehow it didn't find its' way to my wrist very often. Maybe it was too refined for a sports watch, and too sporty for a dressy piece or all-rounder. Purchase made with too much brain and not enough heart.

I also sold mine, but wanted to replace it with more elegant one. It was a battle between SBGW231 and 44GS cased 9F quartz, latter won due to price and ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It didn’t make me smile enough.

Sometimes it’s hard to be more precise than that, but I’ll have a go. I have some inexpensive watches that can’t hold a candle to the GS, but they have character, and that keeps me interested in them. The GS is refined to the point that it can melt away and go unnoticed. That might be exactly what you want with some watches, but maybe not with a sports model. There are few watches more competent than the 9F GMT, but there are more endearing things than competence.

13. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    This GMT talk and ‘too much brain and not enough heart’ reminds me that I had this about fifteen years ago -

Name:  21D64381-6289-4AA9-964F-13DB6DAE38DC.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  138.6 KB

I can’t remember the model number, but it was in the Spirit line, and it was a bit of a favourite in the HEQ community of the time. In that community, which I followed a bit, brain certainly had the ascendancy over heart. I probably thought it was ‘the best watch in the real world’ or something like that. They were quite affordable, but Japan-only, and I think Seiya probably sold hundreds of them to Europeans. I had it for some time, and wore it whenever I travelled, until one day I decided that I respected it more than I liked it. Similar thing, really.

I think it had an 8F-something movement, but I can’t remember.

15. Likes hayday, Fantasio, happyscrappyheropup liked this post