Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas, specifically the tree

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar

Christmas, specifically the tree

In one week we'll be in December, and around here we've been thinking about the Christmas tree. I remarried last year and now have a blended family with 4 kids, so we are actively building new traditions with each holiday. We have a rather nice looking artificial tree that we put upstairs and let the kids decorate with all their favorite ornaments from over the years. Downstairs, we'll have the family tree which is decorated an bit more carefully and shows off some of the nicer ornaments. It must not be artificial at the request of my wife, so we are trying to decide what to do. Of course you have the tree lots where you can pick up a bagged and tagged tree in a matter of minutes. Then we have some local cut-your-own tree farms which are convenient and fun, thought the trees are a bit shabby. Most interesting would be to drive a few hours to the mountains and get a tree from a real tree farm. North Carolina is second in the US for Christmas tree production, and there are countless places to cut your own beautiful specimen. Though taking a whole day to pick out a tree seems a bit much with our busy lives. I guess we have another week or so to figure it out...

So for all of you who celebrate Christmas, what do you do about the tree? Any fun traditions, past or present?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    In one week we'll be in December, and around here we've been thinking about the Christmas tree. I remarried last year and now have a blended family with 4 kids, so we are actively building new traditions with each holiday. We have a rather nice looking artificial tree that we put upstairs and let the kids decorate with all their favorite ornaments from over the years. Downstairs, we'll have the family tree which is decorated an bit more carefully and shows off some of the nicer ornaments. It must not be artificial at the request of my wife, so we are trying to decide what to do. Of course you have the tree lots where you can pick up a bagged and tagged tree in a matter of minutes. Then we have some local cut-your-own tree farms which are convenient and fun, thought the trees are a bit shabby. Most interesting would be to drive a few hours to the mountains and get a tree from a real tree farm. North Carolina is second in the US for Christmas tree production, and there are countless places to cut your own beautiful specimen. Though taking a whole day to pick out a tree seems a bit much with our busy lives. I guess we have another week or so to figure it out...

So for all of you who celebrate Christmas, what do you do about the tree? Any fun traditions, past or present?
    My best friend in the world owned an 80 acre tree farm here. Every year, we would load the kids up and go cut our own. That's a solid tradition.

3. Likes Der Amf, OTGabe liked this post
    More I than S underwatermechanic's Avatar
    Well this year we have a soon to be one year old crawling round so we will have to put the tree up somewhere out of her reach

5. Likes OTGabe, M. Montaigne liked this post
    Due to hectic schedule we put up the tree at home yesterday (it has to be a fake one.)

My wife and kids generally decorate together while I do the lifting of stuff down from the attic. We have a selection of new decorations mixed with a range of things made over the years by the kids. The picture of my eldest that was made into a Christmas decoration when he was 2, is still going strong.

For me a family drive to the mountains is something from the movies and has never been an option anywhere I have lived so that would get my vote. (So says the man that would not have to try fit it in to the pre-Christmas schedule)

I always alcohol goes well with tree decorating, nice to turn the A/C up high and drink mulled wine!
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

7. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Gabe, do yourself a favor and carve out the time to drive up to the mountains and get a tree, root ball and all. After the holidays are over, you can take it out into your yard and plant it. Ten, fifteen, twenty years from now you will have that tree still in the yard as a tangible reminder of this special Christmas and the day you all spent together getting that tree.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Nov 24, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

For the last 10 years or so we have been using two nice, but artificial trees, which look great, but this year we are going to get a small real tree, if nothing else for that great pine scent smell in the house.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

10. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Old Fogey Support Team chrono555's Avatar
    At the car, just fetching your zimmer frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    LED tree for the last god knows how long. Remove from box plonk into stand. Voila, one tree in about 5 seconds. Can't be doing with all this tinsel shit.

12. Likes OTGabe, Seriously liked this post
    Blog Entries
    We have traditionally been away for Christmas (don't ask) so it only made sense to have a plastic tree. A real one would be too dangerous to leave at home without supervision for any length of time.
    Even that tree has disappeared from our house and been transplanted to my daughter's place. Our 6 Kg ball of furry feline trouble decided early on to climb up the tree and make like the Christmas angel. Not the best solution for hanging ornaments. He's gotten older, lighter and mellower but I wouldn't trust him even today.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

14. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Back in my college days, I'd decorate the tree with party condiments/favors....inter-mixed with pipes, bongs and necessary paraphernalia...today we use an artificial tree, decorated with family ornaments and children's handicraft.

After this years string of family tragedies & madness, I'm heading back to the old way...Merry Friggin Christmas stoners

16. Likes OTGabe, MarkO, Seriously, timekeeper liked this post
    I go out and murder one every year. I don't feel bad though, I have planted more than 10,000 trees in my life.

I love the way the house smells with a real tree.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

18. Likes OTGabe liked this post