Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Long Awaited Return of the 6600

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Long Awaited Return of the 6600

Back at the old place and in other fora, G-Shockers often discussed the iconic early G-Shock models and speculated about current and future models that might someday also be viewed as iconic. The broad consensus was that the iconic models were the DW-5000 (DW-5600e it is current basic form); the ubiquitous DW-6900 and the sometimes overlooked DW-6600.

The 5000 and 6900 and/or their progeny, to my knowledge, have never left the G-Shock lineup. Not so the 6600. It disappeared long ago.

My first G-Shock was a DW-6600. Like many other G-Shock fans, I have long wondered why the 6600 was never updated and reissued. There is a simplicity about it I have always liked. It has a large, clean and uncluttered face, unlike the 6900, with its divided display, "eyes" and other quirks. It also had an insanely bright EL, which in some models included a prominent red "G". Like many others, I kept hoping that Casio would get around to a reissue someday. That day has arrived, at least for a little while.

As part of its 40th anniversary special models, Casio has issued the limited edition DW-6640RE-1.

Here's what Casio had to say on its website:

"In homage to the brand’s evolution, these special designs memorialize iconic models from the past with their names hot-stamped on the band to textural, indented effect. On the DWE-5657, DW-6640, and GA-2140, a side button is engraved with a star in a nod to the 40th anniversary ....

The band and bezel of every model in the line are made with bio-based resins. The 40th anniversary logo designed by Eric Haze is engraved on the case back, and also appears in silhouette when the light button is pressed on the DWE-5657 and DW-6640. With four stars for 40 engraved on the band loop and other special details, these limited-edition timepieces are heirs to G-SHOCK history."

Here are the specs:

The one big downside to this reissue is the price. For what is really a very basic G, Casio is asking US$150. Even factoring the 40th anniversary hype, the price is at least $50 too high. Casio may well figure that the anniversary special editions are aimed at diehard fans who won't balk at overpaying for a long, lost favorite. In my case, at least, they're correct. My DW-6640RE-1 is ordered and on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Greg, popoki nui liked this post
    Yes, nice to have it back.
    Seems still very true to the original!

It was not my first G but still is an 90s original!
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

4. Likes Greg, Kronos liked this post
    Nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yeah wasn't my first either actually not sure which was probs was one of the dw line up though
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In the flesh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Greg, popoki nui liked this post
    Im happy to see this thing back in sale!

When it was discontiued like 10 years ago i bought several watches and still have them as (now not necessary) spares!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

10. Likes Greg liked this post