Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Double Duty" Watches

"Double Duty" Watches

My next purchase, which won't be for some considerable time (honest, talking years here) I have decided will be a "double duty" piece.

By "double duty" I mean a watch that can be worn dressy or with a shirt at work for example or can also be worn in a casual situation.

I realise that you can choose to wear any watch in any situation you feel like, but I hope you get what I mean in terms of this thread.

Looking at generally 38-42mm, date window, around £2500/$4000.

Heres a few of my favourite examples.

Omega Aqua Terra - The "perfect" double duty piece, you really could wear it anywhere, and I love the blue "skyfall" version. The 38.5mm is a great size.

Name:  CF239A2D-C771-47AC-8A0E-949620D25E78-15620-0000073AF1668D3F_zps5334565e.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  26.0 KB

Grand Seiko - any of their pieces really!, although they are slightly more dressy, and prices in Uk of GS are horrendous. I would go for a spring drive as I already have a GS automatic.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  67.6 KB

Zenith - Thought I'd put this in there as a outsider. No bracelet but it looks fantastic, and theres not enough Zeniths out there. The gold and blue is a fantastic mixture.

Name:  Zenith-Elite-Captain-1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  52.7 KB

How about you, any ideas or thoughts about the "double duty" type of watch in general ?

Very similar tastes and thoughts on the matter - I'm considering an AT (in a while) for the very reasons you mentioned. I love that zenith but it's too dressy to be a proper all rounder. I believe that it comes on bracelet too?

You also have the explorer 1 of course, preowned probably in that budget.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

3. Likes Steppy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Very similar tastes and thoughts on the matter - I'm considering an AT (in a while) for the very reasons you mentioned. I love that zenith but it's too dressy to be a proper all rounder. I believe that it comes on bracelet too?

You also have the explorer 1 of course, preowned probably in that budget.
    Didn't know that about the Zenith, good to know. Don't know what it is about Rolex, if I got one, it would most likely be a Sub, and I have enough dive watches so the sub is out anyway.

The AT can be picked up at a half decent price Grey in the Uk, don't blame you at all for wanting one too!

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Didn't know that about the Zenith, good to know. Don't know what it is about Rolex, if I got one, it would most likely be a Sub, and I have enough dive watches so the sub is out anyway.

The AT can be picked up at a half decent price Grey in the Uk, don't blame you at all for wanting one too!
    I'd go preowned. And maybe the 41mm - the 38.5 was just a dash small I think. I'm also with you in the Rolex! I'd get a 114060 myself.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

In my own experience my AT is the most versatile watch in my collection. There are few situations where it would look out of place.The disadvantage is that, as my collection has grown at has received less wear. I think that's because I have other watches that are more obvious choices for specific environments, whether dress or casual. But if I was ever reduced to one watch this would probably be it.

Of watches I don't own, I think the DJ in its many guises is another good all-rounder.

For something more affordable, a design like this Oris combines some dressy and sporty elements with it's chunky case and large arabics. Not quite sure if it works.

And I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend the Speedy Pro and the Sub.

Edit: well there ya go, I was a bit late.

7. Likes Steppy, Bwana liked this post
    All three are great. It was between the Snowflake and AT (41.5 mm gray) for me. I went AT mostly because I got a better deal and had tried on prior. The GS still is on my radar. Can't lose decision

9. Likes Steppy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    The disadvantage is that, as my collection has grown at has received less wear. I think that's because I have other watches that are more obvious choices for specific environments, whether dress or casual. But if I was ever reduced to one watch this would probably be it.
    That has been the case with me. The more versatile my overall collection becomes the less "room" it seems to have for "multiple use" watches. That said the AT and a lot of other watches here are great at playing multiple roles. GS sorta bases their entire philosophy on do everything aesthetics.

11. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Fliegers seem like a good "double duty" option for some reason

Obviously people can wear whatever the heck they like, but divers aren't "dress watches". You can wear one with a suit in a business context, but that doesn't make them dress watches.

I think it depends on your personal style, but I float a lot of watches both ways. As said, divers don't really make the "dress" code...mainly because of the bright colors.

Name:  DA36-2.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  134.0 KBName:  DA45-2.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  127.5 KBName:  JS-1.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  139.1 KBName:  Nomos1.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  143.0 KBName:  o rm1.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  139.6 KB

15. Likes Mediocre, GlennO, Steppy liked this post