Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a field of dreams

a field of dreams

Jeannie, people will come Jeannie. They'll come to IWL for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your forum not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your link as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the forum and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Jeannie. The one constant through all the years, Jeannie, has been the love of the timepiece . America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But 1WL has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Jeannie . It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Jeannie. People will most definitely come.

with just a few modifications

2. Likes OTGabe, Upstate, shemp, Ryan liked this post
    Have you been at the sherry again ?

What have I told you

4. Likes shameless, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Will you hate me if I say I never saw the movie.

Thank you for the sentiment. I actually had that exact thought while we were bouncing around this empty forum before opening day listening to our voices echo off the walls. It's a little like hosting a party. You've cleaned the house. Laid out the chips and dip. Dimmed the lights. Turned up the tunes and turned on the porch light. Now you're waiting to see if anyone will arrive.

And you all did. How really truly gratifying.

We've got a PARTY, boys and girls!

Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Have you been at the sherry again ?

What have I told you
    Ooh I haven't hit the sherry for a while. I used to have a bottle on my desk when I was 17. Made maths homework a lot more fun. Or, at least, seemingly doable.

7. Likes shameless liked this post
    Me: Is this heaven?
    Jeannie: It's — it's IWL
    Me: I could have sworn it was heaven.
    Jeannie: Is there a heaven?
    Me: Oh, yeah. It's the place where dreams come true.
    Jeannie: Maybe this is heaven.

9. Likes Seriously, shameless, JAGtime liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Say what you like about Kevin Costner the actor - but he knows baseball.
    He's starred in 3 great movies about it:

Bull Durham - the preoccupation with statistics, the fine line between success and failure, the contrast between the Big Leagues and the Minor Leagues.
    Field of Dreams - The mystic qualities, the history, the ghosts of past greatness, the perfection of the game wherever it is played.
    For Love of the Game - The struggle of a truly great pitcher to go out on top and at the same time make things right in his personal life. Played out in the context of pitching a perfect game in his final start.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

11. Likes shameless liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Say what you like about Kevin Costner the actor - but he knows baseball.
    He's starred in 3 great movies about it:

Bull Durham - the preoccupation with statistics, the fine line between success and failure, the contrast between the Big Leagues and the Minor Leagues.
    Field of Dreams - The mystic qualities, the history, the ghosts of past greatness, the perfection of the game wherever it is played.
    For Love of the Game - The struggle of a truly great pitcher to go out on top and at the same time make things right in his personal life. Played out in the context of pitching a perfect game in his final start.

its also a little known fact that Charlton Heston was a champion charioteer whilst in high school

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Will you hate me if I say I never saw the movie.

Jeannie
    You really should, it's terrific. James Earl Jones is awesome in it, and it's not necessary to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.

Keven is an arrogant twit, but I do enjoy most of his movies.

16. Likes shameless liked this post