Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you make of this?

What do you make of this?

This is unusual, maybe a prototype dial? Automatic movement but case back is Electrosonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very unusual JP, I don't know what to make of it. "Scratchpower" is a pretty strange model name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Very unusual JP, I don't know what to make of it. "Scratchpower" is a pretty strange model name.
    I would guess that it was made for an event or a company. 'Scratchpower' seems so unlike anything Rado Lengnau would have authorized for general release, and the dial is very busy. It seems like an award or commemorative for some private event...like a product launch or corporate celebration.

At that time, Rado was making all sorts of watches (we've seen them as trophies for tennis tournaments, awards for other competitions, even related to football sponsorships) and this seems to fall into that realm. Also, the use of a scratchproof case with ES back, but a (presumably) less expensive automatic movement, suggests it was made to order, not part of actual Rado production.

Update: upon further reflection, I wonder if the dial isn't some later re-paint with excessive and incorrect text...mated to whatever Rado parts fit.
    Last edited by watch carefully; Aug 11, 2023 at 06:26 PM.

Name:  DS8 Busy Dial.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  54.9 KB

The dial reminds me of this DS8 that I just bought, having vertical bars. This one goes between reflective and satin.

Name:  Anchor Dial.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  57.2 KB

And then there's this interesting anchor-pattern dial. Not sure if this is legit, but seems in the same category...

That dial paved with anchors is original from the factory. We have seen them before, but very rarely.

The white text and especially the font reminded me of another Electrosonic we saw in the past, may have been an Olympic special edition - owned by Frank or Markus (pimpclinic)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so title says it all really ...

whats the view looks like a swatch to me with rado on the dial hmmm least omega put swatch on too

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Not a fan. Not really a fan of anyone's "open heart" dials. Rado makes even worse ones than thioose two. There is, or was, a rose gold and white open heart dialed Centrix that showed more or less the balance wheel and nto much else. It looked like the worst cheap Chinese trash fashion watch you can imagine.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Not a fan. Not really a fan of anyone's "open heart" dials. Rado makes even worse ones than thioose two. There is, or was, a rose gold and white open heart dialed Centrix that showed more or less the balance wheel and not much else. It looked like the worst cheap Chinese trash fashion watch you can imagine.
    indeed it was the price that got me about 2200 I believe it was I thought dam you could get a whole lot of nice for that ,diastar, Manhattan, marstron , all mint for that one watch ... plus change for something else to maybe.

but yeah think thats the problem though ant it any open hearts got a good chance of looking like the worst Chinese trash full stop.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1