Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Experience at Tourneau Today…Here We Go Again

Blog Entries

My Experience at Tourneau Today…Here We Go Again

So, before I went to my health club today, I decided to stop by the Tourneau store to try on a couple of watches (both are located within the same super-mall, so not out of my way or anything). My interest was piqued last night when a Bell & Ross BR-03 went up for sale at a ridiculously good price (the watch had been sold today anyway, as I thought it would for that price). Now, the watch is no masterpiece, but I actually like its looks (although a bit on the big side at 42mm with a square case), and I don't really have a casual watch (currently have a Zenith Captain Elite and a G-shock 5600 - this would fall somewhere in-between). I don't think I really need one, but, again, the price was so good that it would've been easily liquidated, without any financial loss.

Back to Tourneau. I go in the store, introduce myself to the salesman standing at the entrance, and tell him I'm interested in perhaps purchasing a more casual watch, and wanted to try-on the Tudor Ranger and the Bell & Ross BR-03, of which they have both. He leads me to the Tudor counter first, that had a man kind of already slumped over the counter looking at some watches. He takes out the Tudor Ranger, and I try it on (more of my impressions of this watch later in this post). While I'm trying it on, the slumped-over guy asks to try on a Tudor as well. The salesman obliges, and he starts helping that guy. I hand him back the Ranger, started talking about it, but I had to wait while he was talking to the other guy. At this point he should've motioned to one of the two salesladies who were just chatting by the register to come help one of us.

He puts my Tudor back, and stays helping the other guy. I slowly walk over to the B&R counter to start looking at those watches, just lingering in his sight, not being rude, and the guy never comes over! He just stayed with the other guy, indulging him in all sorts of try-ons, and never once came over to me to help or rectify the situation. And it's not like the other guy looked more like he'd buy a watch (whatever that means) because he wasn't wearing a watch, just jeans and a football jersey, and I'd just come from work with the Zenith on that the salesman and I discussed for a second. I'm not saying to show any preferential treatment to customers, but I'm just saying that this wasn't a man in a bespoke Saville Row suit sporting a Patek.

I browsed around some more, and when I got to their pre-owned counter, there was even a used BR-03 on display! Unbelievable. I was so dumbfounded that I just left the store and went to the gym. Some of these salespeople are really the least sharp individuals I've ever met. Unfortunately, par for the course at Tourneau.

So on to the Tudor Ranger. I really like the look of this watch. Brushed case, three hander, lumed indices/numerals, and a red seconds hand. Very nice aesthetic. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a good feel of the watch on the wrist, because the only one they had was on the leather bund strap, which, let me be clear, is the worst strap I have ever seen on a watch. Ever. Because the bund-style strap was one piece, the actual straps that were connected to the lugs refused to angle down to the sides of my wrist, like a strap is supposed to. To angle these down, the strap that was flush against the case back would have to curve, but there was no curving room, since it's flush against the case back. The watch looked about as stupid as it could on my wrist. I obviously wouldn't wear it like this (I'd probably go NATO), but I couldn't get a feel for the watch either way.

Obviously I have no idea about the fit and feel of the B&R.

Yes, yes…first world problems.

Some obligatory pictures of the watches discussed:

Name:  br03.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  33.2 KB

Name:  tudor.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  34.0 KB

If you are going to try to juggle two customers (and maybe get 2 sales) you have to try harder.

I have always like the look of the B&R instrument watches but they never make it onto my "formal" to buy list. I expect I will trip over a deal for one and add it someday, if not oh well. I like the Ranger and it is hovering right outside my to buy list, I feel like I need a basic field watch. Price not withstanding if offered one of each I might take the B&R just because I think it is cool.

My Tourneau experiences have always been more negative than positive. I'm used to the NYC sales people who overwhelmingly seem unfamiliar with the product they're selling; it's the chaotic, disheveled state of their display cases that bothers me. Watches that look extremely manhandled and used. Definitely makes it harder to argue against price negotiation.

It's funny...I've always had really good experiences at both Tourneaus uptown in Manhattan. I always go in ready for rude, unknowledgeable sales people and for some odd reason I'm always treated well. Wether I'm upstairs looking at the nice stuff or down in the lower level browsing the used section, I've alway had a friendly sales person their indulging me and taking stuff out for me to try on. I kinda even feel funny writing about having great visits their. I guess I always show up on payday.

But my best experience was at Wempe across the way. Had a great time chatting with a sales lady there while I sat and tried on like every Tudor and Nomos they had. She was super attentive and seemed genuinely interested in the watches. I swear I almost bought a Black Bay cause she was so nice. No joke!

5. Likes MarkO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstate View Post
    It's funny...I've always had really good experiences at both Tourneaus uptown in Manhattan. I always go in ready for rude, unknowledgeable sales people and for some odd reason I'm always treated well. Wether I'm upstairs looking at the nice stuff or down in the lower level browsing the used section, I've alway had a friendly sales person their indulging me and taking stuff out for me to try on. I kinda even feel funny writing about having great visits their. I guess I always show up on payday.

But my best experience was at Wempe across the way. Had a great time chatting with a sales lady there while I sat and tried on like every Tudor and Nomos they had. She was super attentive and seemed genuinely interested in the watches. I swear I almost bought a Black Bay cause she was so nice. No joke!
    I'm happy to hear that. Hopefully my experiences were isolated incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by RYANBROOKLYNBOSTON View Post
    I'm happy to hear that. Hopefully my experiences were isolated incidents.
    Was this in Boston? My Boston Tourneau experiences have always been great.

But I prefer to source my watches from Long's Jewelers here in Boston -- a little more expensive than competitors, but great services and very reliable and trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Was this in Boston? My Boston Tourneau experiences have always been great.

But I prefer to source my watches from Long's Jewelers here in Boston -- a little more expensive than competitors, but great services and very reliable and trustworthy.
    NYC. I haven't been to the one in Boston actually. In MA, I really like the guys at Royal Jewelers in Andover.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    ...leather bund strap, which, let me be clear, is the worst strap I have ever seen on a watch. Ever.
    I agree.

10. Likes Upstate liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I agree.
    I could never understand bund straps. People also seem to wear watches that are too small for the bund strap, making even a larger watch look small in comparison.

On someone with large wrists, this may be passable, but on most people with smaller or average wrists, it just looks comical.

Was it the Columbus Circle locale?