Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shinola begins watch dial production in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    I like the designs. But, so far at least, I am not loving the price/value ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think there are many WIS that wouldn't agree, as I said I will buy one if they make an more or less all American built watch (assuming they have a design I like), I would own a RGM except their Pennsylvania built watches just don't work with my aesthetic and the price is too much to simply buy on principle.

2. Likes Ryan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    I think the problem is they expect(ed) people to understand the name when in reality most living people just see it connected to crap, which obviously the phrase means just the opposite.
    Agreed, they should have seen the backlash coming...word association is important in marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Agreed, they should have seen the backlash coming...word association is important in marketing.
    I agree, while naming a product can't be easy a quick survey of 10 random people would have given them a clue.

Actually, the name kind of appeals to me in a quirky looks-like-shoepolish, tongue in cheek kind of way. Their designs are pretty attractive, but from handling one at a local watchporium (did I just invent a new portmanteau word?), I'd say a $200 price point is more in line. Nice that the Swiss Ronda movement is assembled from a kit in Detroit, but that and the name chuckle ain't worth the extra four hundred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Have to change that friggin name
    The name means quality though. Not "knowing shit from shinola", the former being bad and the latter being good.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes Samanator, Mediocre liked this post
    Savagely Average
    I actually like the name, just wish they made a mechanical watch

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    The name means quality though. Not "knowing shit from shinola", the former being bad and the latter being good.
    still, it's word association... I still think it's a poor choice of name. I instantly think of the phrase.. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    still, it's word association... I still think it's a poor choice of name. I instantly think of the phrase.. Oh well...
    So do I. But then again, good or bad, it is instant name recognition which won't soon be forgotten. BTW, according to what I just read, the company is named after a shoe polish.

Based in Detroit, I should have known about them by now, but I did not. Having a look at the site, some of the styling is not too bad (and not directly copying like so many others), but the prices do seem a bit high.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Blog Entries
    The name really sticks in my craw, not because of its idiomatic use, but because the watch company has no connection to, nor does its product have any association with, the original Shinola company. I mean for chrissakes if you're going to appropriate a name of a former company at least have the sense to choose one that actually relates to your product. It would be like if I started a company to make eyewear and bought up the rights to the name 'Terraplane'. Anyone familiar with the Terraplane auto company would be asking themselves wtf does eyewear have to do with cars? And those not familiar with the auto company would be asking themselves what's a terraplane and why would I want one on my face? At least the original Shinola related to boot black -- it makes your footwear shiny.

To compound the utter stupidity of appropriating a marque that has no relation to your product, it would've been the easiest thing in the world to come up with an original name for the company. People do it every freaking day, what's the hardship? Maybe there's something in the water in that great failed shitehole Detroit that makes people stupid. I dunno.

That said, if they do get to the point of total inhouse manufacture of materials sourced in the US, and if they do come up with a mechanical watch of appealing design at a reasonable price, I'll buy one. I'm all for returning manufacturing to the American economy.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    The name really sticks in my craw, not because of its idiomatic use, but because the watch company has no connection to, nor does its product have any association with, the original Shinola company.
    Initially I thought maybe Shinola was originally a Detroit based company which would give at least some connection, my brief venture into google at the time indicated it was a New York based company. I can only assume the idea was a name strongly associated with the US and associated with good quality as opposed to crap. Then again Mr Kartsotis named the last watch company he was involved with the antithesis of something "modern". What do you think of when you thing of a fossil? Me, I think of something old and buried.