Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project poORTHOS

Project poORTHOS

Hey everyone thia will be my first attempt at a mod watch from scratch.

First I want so say thanks to Kody at aguetradingco for helping me with shipping and Chris from Lew and huey for going through the specs of the orthos and its dial with me and giving me advice on the project.

I've been following lew and huey for a good while now and I love the look of them but I can't justify the price of one right now.
    So when I saw the mod options become available on their website I thought why not just build a 'homage'.

The dial is 32mm in diameter with 30mm between the indices. Thia is a bit of an unusual size so I'll need to find a suitable base watch.

Enough talking here's the dial when it arrived

I was sure I wanted to use a base watch that had a bezel but.....

After a trial fit in a hmt case I think it looks pretty damn good.

Unfortunately I have nothing in my collection that it will fit in but with the orthos specs that Chris provided I should be able to find something suitable.

Any thoughts and comments welcome

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Check you my youtube channel - Blanchy Talks Watches

2. Likes is that my watch, 93EXCivic liked this post
    Tbh, I am not really sure about that case and dial combo. I think it needs something a little more toolish but no idea where to find that since that is a tricky dial size.

Most cases for ETA/DG etc automatics are for a 29mm dial. And most 6497/6498 cases are for at least a 34mm dial.

A 40mm Luminor case from Jackson takes a 32.4mm dial. I kinda wondering what that dial would look like in that case.

The other trick is going to be finding a movement with the date ring in the correct place...

If you need a movement ring made, I can print you one.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Oct 22, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

4. Likes is that my watch, Blanchy liked this post
    well also depend if you go auto the case depth changes so the pizza and the like don't work without looking in to detail possible a radomier like case could do it at a guess
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

6. Likes Blanchy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Tbh, I am not really sure about that case and dial combo. I think it needs something a little more toolish but no idea where to find that since that is a tricky dial size.

Most cases for ETA/DG etc automatics are for a 29mm dial. And most 6497/6498 cases are for at least a 34mm dial.

A 40mm Luminor case from Jackson takes a 32.4mm dial. I kinda wondering what that dial would look like in that case.

The other trick is going to be finding a movement with the date ring in the correct place...

luminor you say might be able to sort something like that got a u.m I don't use much that an auto so that could take care of the case
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes Blanchy liked this post
    Ho. Lee. $h1t.

I spotted the pics from the OP in that 'what's trending' page when I opened Tapatalk earlier. I was like, "Hey, that's one of my dials! WTF?". I usually breeze right past that 'what's trending' page. What are the odds?

I forgot about the couple of guys who bought the dials but never the watches, and have been sort of wondering what happened. I think the 40mm Luminor case sounds good. Whatever you do, please be sure to shoot me an email with pics whenever your project comes together. I'd love to see it.

Oh, erm...this is Chris. I sold you the dial, and made the Orthos, in case that wasn't already obvious.

Cheers.
    Eight essential vitamins and minerals - Lew & Huey

Please don't force me to put a lot of stuff here by asking me a bunch of questions with answers easily found on my website.

Take $25 off your purchase of an in-stock watch with coupon code IWL.

10. Likes Blanchy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post

Thanks I might take you up on that

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    luminor you say might be able to sort something like that got a u.m I don't use much that an auto so that could take care of the case
    Ah cool. I'd hope to use an automatic movement with it but realistically I'll use whatever works

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    Ho. Lee. $h1t.

I spotted the pics from the OP in that 'what's trending' page when I opened Tapatalk earlier. I was like, "Hey, that's one of my dials! WTF?". I usually breeze right past that 'what's trending' page. What are the odds?

I forgot about the couple of guys who bought the dials but never the watches, and have been sort of wondering what happened. I think the 40mm Luminor case sounds good. Whatever you do, please be sure to shoot me an email with pics whenever your project comes together. I'd love to see it.

Oh, erm...this is Chris. I sold you the dial, and made the Orthos, in case that wasn't already obvious.

Cheers.
    Hey Chris, I'm surprised this was on the trending page lol

I'll definitely send on some pics when I get further with the project

15. Likes docvail liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar

17. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    Ah cool. I'd hope to use an automatic movement with it but realistically I'll use whatever works

well the movement in the case is for a sub six I think so as it has no date it would not work but the case should thou if we get lucky the size sounds about right
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

19. Likes Blanchy liked this post