Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Real watch geeks don't wind ... apparently?

Nope, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    But I'm curious as to how many 'watch heads' would be happy to wear an immaculate, but broken or unwound watch?

Read this on a browser ,or whatever link , what ....

Granted a museum piece , and sorry to say that some of mine are difficult to get hold of so may be / close to being , they all work though , and , at least at the mo. get worn , some more than others granted.

A two hand date free may be +/- 6 hrs. out but isn't that just a bracelet.
    Still think a watch has the prime perpuse of telling the time , at least pretty close anyway. And, something to look at , a dial that has a siren look to it , must keep on looking to see it's many differing 'faces'

Guess to each their own , so if he likes it that way , fine

Bet he hasn't checked out some of the A S

ps , very rare I set the date , but , time yes , have been known to be on the wrong baton and had to correct though , yikes
    Last edited by Strela167; Jan 10, 2024 at 03:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    To me, a nonfunctional watch is far worse than a decorative bracelet, because it misrepresents its purpose.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes scottjc, Tim., Raza, uchinanchu liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm overreacting, but this article highlights a lot of the ickiest ideas about watches, especially the notion of seeing them as mere "accessories". I'm all for appreciating the design, beauty, history and plain old "vibe" of a watch, but none of that makes sense to me if you divorce a timepiece from its essential function. Would you carry around a beautiful, fancy pen that doesn't write?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Fantasio, Strange liked this post
    I don't even like it if a watch is out by 6 or more seconds a day, hence I'll often reset it the following day just to confirm how it's running, can't fathom how or why one would fail to set a watch at all.
    Last edited by Tim.; Jan 11, 2024 at 06:30 AM.

8. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Well, I just started the day wearing a beautiful but non functioning watch. The intention was to wear it for a day and see how it feels. I gave up by about ten and, like the watch, I wasn't even working.

The kids have to be out of the house by eight for school and all this did was really rub in just how many times I glance at my watch, even in a house with *mumble* clocks on a variety of surfaces, while dragging the kids from bed, feeding them and finally rushing them out of the house while they shudder to a halt with a book in hand at the slightest chance (leisure electronics are banned until all homework is completed in the evening). Just not wearing a watch made us late out this morning.

Into a beautiful frosty minus five morning. Trying to balance skating around country roads without crashing with getting there on time became that bit more stressful as I wasn't quite sure how much time I had. Finally, with the kids dropped off at their respective schools, I took the dog for a walk and, for a brief moment, not worrying about time, well wrapped up and enjoying a leisurely walk while the dog did whatever odd stuff dogs do when given permission to freelance, I could enjoy the watch as a thing, not as a tool.

Then back home and cooking; suddenly not being able to check the time became a right royal pain again and I gave up.

This clearly isn't just an intellectual choice. My watch, whatever one it may be, is obviously playing an active role in my thought processes, much as I might rely on my long term memory or a diary, when I need the time it's right there. When it isn't, it's a bit like having a stroke: you lean on the watch and it just doesn't deliver, leaving you a bit lost.

So now, I'm unconvinced that genuine 'watch heads' can really bear an out of kilter or broken watch. It's just unpleasant to experience.

10. Likes Strange liked this post
    Maybe you need to wean yourself off gradually, with something like this:

Blog Entries
    I couldn’t finish the article. I got too mad.

Conceding that no mechanical watch will ever be as accurate as a cell phone has no bearing on the mechanical excellence of a watch. I will never be as fast as Usain Bolt, nor as charming as Humphrey Bogart, nor as cool as Steve McQueen. I will never shift gear as fast as a computer controlled transmission. I will never drive around a race track as fast as Ayrton Senna. I will never be as good a writer as Kurt Vonnegut. But it’s when we stop striving for excellence that we die.

Reducing a watch to its aesthetic is not only to reduce it to mere jewelry, it also throws away the history of hundreds, if not thousands of watchmakers who worked diligently, tirelessly, and passionately to hone their craft and give us these watches in the first place. Jewelry is fine, people wear it all the time. I don’t really, but that’s neither here nor there. Jewelry isn’t an insult. But taking a beautiful work of art and putting it in a drawer is. Wearing a watch made by masterful watchmakers and reducing it to a static piece of inert metal and glass is.

If you can’t see the beauty of a mechanical movement working, then what the hell are you doing wearing a mechanical watch? What’s the point? Buy an Apple Watch and put a pretty skin on it. Buy a bracelet and look at your phone.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

13. Likes scottjc, mlcor, skywatch, Strange, Matt, uchinanchu liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^
    I would say the denizens of IWL are in violent agreement on this issue.

15. Likes skywatch, mlcor, Raza liked this post
    Savagely Average
    I classify this under most "news" that is really just an "article" on an obviously controversial topic for the purpose of generating clicks

Similar to any article that has "Musk" in the title

17. Likes Tim. liked this post