Likes Likes:  31
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 6B - H↑S9 - MK2

In that case, between Kew, The Imperial War Museum and Northolt, there is absolutely nothing to stop you from recreating his life in the RAF from the day he joined. You will be able to know where he trained, who with, every flight he took, where it went, what it did, any events on the mission and an astonishing amount more.

It doesn't matter if you are not an historian, there are very knowledgeable, incredibly committed and astonishingly helpful people at these places who freely dedicate their lives to helping people like you rediscover the stories that their fathers would have told them if they had had the chance.

To get an idea of the sort of level of detail you can drill down into just using Kew and IWM Hendon, take a look at this:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...g-with-a-PRS14

The content is spread out through the thread and I never quite got around to pulling it all together into a single article, except as a narrative, but it will give you an idea.
    Last edited by Matt; Nov 28, 2014 at 07:05 PM.

2. Likes shameless liked this post
    I know he's made fibreglass mock ups, but airworthy Lancasters is more than a surprise to me. Do you have a source for that?

Old Fogey Support Team chrono555's Avatar
    At the car, just fetching your zimmer frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I know he's made fibreglass mock ups, but airworthy Lancasters is more than a surprise to me. Do you have a source for that?
    No, I clear my browser history too often. But it wouldn't surprise me; he doesn't cut corners where aviation's concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    In that case, between Kew, The Imperial War Museum and Northolt, there is absolutely nothing to stop you from recreating his life in the RAF from the day he joined. You will be able to know where he trained, who with, every flight he took, where it went, what it did, any events on the mission and an astonishing amount more.

It doesn't matter if you are not an historian, there are very knowledgeable, incredibly committed and astonishingly helpful people at these places who freely dedicate their lives to helping people like you rediscover the stories that their fathers would have told them if they had had the chance.

To get an idea of the sort of level of detail you can drill down into just using Kew and IWM Hendon, take a look at this:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...g-with-a-PRS14

The content is spread out through the thread and I never quite got around to pulling it all together into a single article, except as a narrative, but it will give you an idea.
    thankyou Matt - will give it a go !

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Old Fogey Support Team chrono555's Avatar
    At the car, just fetching your zimmer frame.
    And knowing what airfields he flew from, nothing quite as evocative as visiting the airfield or the site where it used to be. Despite the years, most airfields are still extant, as long as they haven't been built over.

8. Likes shameless liked this post
    The price and name designation apart, I find it's a very attractive watch. Just too bad it's priced outside my comfort zone. Seems like a very well made watch.

Thanks for sharing!
    ~Daniel~

Blog Entries

11. Likes shameless, Ryan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    interesting background maybe he can be forgiven for adopting the '6B' after all