Likes Likes:  45
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is a bad idea, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    This is only a problem if you have ever used the word "Batman" to describe a watch made for grown-ups.
    Why? I like batman and I'm a grown up
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes happyscrappyheropup, GaryF liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    This is only a problem if you have ever used the word "Batman" to describe a watch made for grown-ups.
    I use Batman to describe lots of things made for grown-ups, I’ll have you know!

Don’t you too? I tend to remember seeing your name on something Batman-y I gave as a gift…
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

4. Likes happyscrappyheropup, GaryF liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Our tastes here run nearly completely opposite! I can’t stand the jubilee bracelet; it’s too flashy, too complicated. I don’t care for the black and blue combination of the Batman; it looks fine, but if the colors represent day and night, because both those colors are associated with Batman, they both feel like the night to me, especially as blue is used to represent the night in the Pepsi. As for the Explorer II, when I tried it on last (2017, before I got my Submariner), it just felt too big for me. Something about it just didn’t sit right on my wrist and even though I’ve owned bigger watches (and even at the time I had bigger watches than the Explorer II), it just felt off on my wrist. I do agree that the white Explorer II is the only way to go, though I wish it had a red GMT hand instead of orange.
    Agreed, I feel on all but one thing 180 degrees different on each of these points. The only thing we agree on is not liking the Batman regardless of bracelet (but for different reasons). Make it a 42mm mm Black Explorer II with a bi-directional black and blue bezel and the Explorer II GMT hand in Blue and I'll buy one now. To me a GMT II should be a variant of a Explorer II, and then offer a 40mm option (They do it on the Yacht Master).

I'm sure you know Rolex had no intention of making it a Batman watch. They just used those colors and some one coined it that. Kind of like the green and black Sub being called a Kermit and the all green a Hulk. To me those are backwards since Kermit is an all green frog that does not wear clothes, yet the Hulk is green, and generally has dark pants on (Green and black). Backwards! Let's not even start on how bad Seiko nicknames are except Tuna Can and that should only apply the the 51mm version.
    Last edited by Samanator; Mar 6, 2024 at 03:38 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

6. Likes Raza liked this post
    . It’s flashier;
    Attachment 127881
    Indeed. I have always admired and even tried on the Pepsi on Jubilee (as well as the Batman/girl) and I go back and forth in my mind if I want it or not. It's tempting, but I have to say, I was at birthday party for one of my daughter's school mates a couple weekends ago and one of the dads had the Pepsi on Jubilee. Of course I noticed it right away. And I kept stealing glances of it when I could. And not to take away from the allure of the Pepsi, but it definitely commands attention, and not in such a good way in my opinion. Way too flashy when seen from afar like that (for my tastes). I realized just then that it probably wouldn't work for me. But some like that, and I'm not critical of one's style choice (as I type this in a t-shirt and sweatpants.)

Modern Rolexes are definitely more flashy to the eye than the past 5 digit watches, and I really notice it when I go into the AD and try on some Rolex, then go over the JLC section and you realize how refined JLC is, while Rolex is kind of rugged and over the top, almost cartoonish, in comparison. Again, just my opinion. That being said, I do like a little flash, and that's why I keep leaning towards a Datejust on a Jubilee. A nice balance of flash without being over the top. It's seemingly a perfect everyday watch with a useful date function and good water resistance, while being comfortable and stylish on the wrist without having to be overly self conscious about it. I know that's a far cry from the Pepsi, but that's my 2¢.

8. Likes Raza, tribe125 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Agreed, I feel on all but one thing 180 degrees different on each of these points. The only thing we agree on is not liking the Batman regardless of bracelet (but for different reasons). Make it a 42mm mm Black Explorer II with a bi-directional black and blue bezel and the Explorer II GMT hand in Blue and I'll buy one now. To me a GMT II should be a variant of a Explorer II, and then offer a 40mm option (They do it on the Yacht Master).

I'm sure you know Rolex had no intention of making it a Batman watch. They just used those colors and some one coined it that. Kind of like the green and black Sub being called a Kermit and the all green a Hulk. To me those are backwards since Kermit is an all green frog that does not wear clothes, yet the Hulk is green, and generally has dark pants on (Green and black). Backwards! Let's not even start on how bad Seiko nicknames are except Tuna Can and that should only apply the the 51mm version.
    Oh yeah, totally! And I still believe the nickname Batman comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of comic colorization. I don’t believe blue was ever an intended color of Batman’s suit, rather, blue coloring was meant to depict moonlight (or any light source, really) shining on Batman’s black and gray suit. Since it’s incredibly difficult to depict shades of black on print medium, blue was used to represent the light hitting black. I’m happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable but I believe this to be the case.

I also agree with the Kermit/Hulk thing, although I always picture Hulk’s pants as purple, not black.

I think we can all agree that Kermit is green, though. And it certainly isn’t easy.

Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

10. Likes happyscrappyheropup, GaryF liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    ... I'm a grown up
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Oh yeah, totally! And I still believe the nickname Batman comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of comic colorization. I don’t believe blue was ever an intended color of Batman’s suit, rather, blue coloring was meant to depict moonlight (or any light source, really) shining on Batman’s black and gray suit. Since it’s incredibly difficult to depict shades of black on print medium, blue was used to represent the light hitting black. I’m happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable but I believe this to be the case.

I also agree with the Kermit/Hulk thing, although I always picture Hulk’s pants as purple, not black.

I think we can all agree that Kermit is green, though. And it certainly isn’t easy.

Nice one on the not easy being green thing.

I guess the Hulk pants color is dependant on what he is wearing that day. I've seen all kinds of colors in a web search. I can't see anyone except the late Prince having many purple pants that they wear.

I'll leave the colorization item to @GaryF.

The current movie suit is nearly all black, but the classic Batman suit from my childhood was black and grey with a yellow belt and a yellow oval around the bat on the chest. Even the Lego version has the yellow elements and is either all black, or black and grey.

More searching shows that black and blue go to superheros Blue Marvel and one called Nightwing. That would make it a Blue Marvel not a Batman given that would be the more recognized black and blue superhero.
    Last edited by Samanator; Mar 6, 2024 at 07:44 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

13. Likes Raza liked this post
    Some of these nicknames are so annoying that my brain refuses to remember them. I can read some threads without knowing what’s being discussed.

15. Likes GaryF, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Okay, fair, I'm 'old'!

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Some of these nicknames are so annoying that my brain refuses to remember them. I can read some threads without knowing what’s being discussed.
    Easier than 122610blnr. Or do you mean 122610blnv?

You could just say gmt master 2 blue and black or red and blue, but once learned batman is easier

Similar to Seiko monster, snowflake etc.

18. Likes Raza, happyscrappyheropup liked this post