Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FISHING !

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I've never seen a trout like that. Is that an albino?
    Glenn,
    A Golden Rainbow, more commonly called a Palomino here...quite rare, we released him back to the cold waters.

2. Likes GlennO, shameless, Jeannie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    You didn't EAT that carp, did you???
    no of course not although i believe some nations do !! no it was returned unharmed

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    Hope to contribute to the thread when I have more time, but wanted to ask is that one of their Sintrix rods? I have read some about them but never seen one in person.
    it is a Hardy Angel with the Hardy Angel reel -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Peter,
    Great picture & congrats, truly a feat catching them on light gear...did you catch it on a fly or bait ?

We're big flyfishermen here, mainly wild trout in streams/brooks...but will go after the stocked variety in the larger creeks & small rivers.

My son and I went out twice this year, wished we had more time...but life took over. My son with the kids, they always manage to get in the action...even when they didn't go fishing
    Attachment 1831Attachment 1832Attachment 1834
    thankyou and hi my good friend -great to see you made it over here ! took it on a tiny nymph fly - was fishing a reservoir for rainbow and this cruised by -cast in front of the wake not expecting a reply -scared the life of me when it took ! it was emotional!

6. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    thankyou and hi my good friend -great to see you made it over here ! took it on a tiny nymph fly - was fishing a reservoir for rainbow and this cruised by -cast in front of the wake not expecting a reply -scared the life of me when it took ! it was emotional!
    Unique you nailed it on a nymph, they usually just suck the bottom here. They do eat them here, grind them up and make patties I'm told...meat tends to be mushy & muddy tasting, not to my liking for sure. Fly tying is a whole other hobby, that will keep you off the watch sales page

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Unique you nailed it on a nymph, they usually just suck the bottom here. They do eat them here, grind them up and make patties I'm told...meat tends to be mushy & muddy tasting, not to my liking for sure. Fly tying is a whole other hobby, that will keep you off the watch sales page
    on this reservoir close to home , there are a group of three or four which we guard as much as we can from the 'carp hunters ' - on warmer evenings the carp regularly seem to take an evening stroll around the water on the surface - its a fly only private water so generally they are left alone to get on with it , my cast to it was more instinctive than expectant - i have tied flies inmy distant past but yes its a patience thing and i admire those that can create the perfect fly -however i'm more likely especially on bigger flies for sea trout for example to pull a few hairs off my sheepdog and tie them to a hook
    Last edited by shameless; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

9. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Instinct supersedes mechanical, fly fishing is a dance.

Carp do an tremendous damage to the silt bed, thus destroying the eggs of more wanted fishes...a nuisance and pest here.

11. Likes shameless liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    This thread needs Cobia!
    i hope someone comes up with one -but it won't be from UK

Love fishing of all kinds, though my preference is for saltwater estuary and beach fishing. Typical targets are bream, whiting and flathead. I currently live and work away from the coast but I still have a house back there and get out on the water whenever I can. Nowadays I release 90% of my catches. A fairly recent pic with a bream:

This 55lb Mulloway (Jewfish) is the biggest fish I've ever caught. Was a long time ago..1986 I think.

I caught it while fishing for Tailor (Bluefish in the US) at night off the beach. Took me about 2 hours to beach it (and another hour to drag it back across the dunes to my car). It's unlikely that I'll ever beat it. Catches of this size in the area were not particularly rare back then, but I haven't seen or heard of one this big or bigger being caught since then.
    Last edited by GlennO; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM.

14. Likes Bwana, shameless liked this post
    Great catches Glenn It looks like cool temps in the first picture, does it get cold where you're at in Australia ? Beautiful lake shot behind you.