Likes Likes:  160
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Watches --->> Post yours !

I think we can all agree that a "real" military watch is whatever is worn by a soldier. So, the vast majority would pretty much be G-shocks and Suuntos.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I think we can all agree that a "real" military watch is whatever is worn by a soldier. So, the vast majority would pretty much be G-shocks and Suuntos.
    How does it work anyway?
    Wasn't there a time when the military supplied the watches?
    And now, it's every soldier for himself as long as it does not violate any rgulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    How does it work anyway?
    Wasn't there a time when the military supplied the watches?
    And now, it's every soldier for himself as long as it does not violate any rgulation?
    There really is no consistency. For some functions, your command may issue watches (e.g., SOC issued watches are common, usually a Suunto).

Squadrons or commands may also purchase a group order, where you may have more popular brands available for purchase with your squadron logo on them (typically Omegas and Breitlings), often at steep discounts.

4. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Actually since I'm old those brands didn't exist when I was in the military. We seem to think that something like this is a tactical watch:

Back in the early 80's you could actually get a TT Rolex Sub from the Navy exchange catalog for under $900. So when I was a young Coast Guard Officer on dozen of law enforcement boardings this was my tactical watch. I was lead to it by a number of Navy pilots who were stationed in Gitmo that I met in the officers club there. Granted this was not really a family oriented base and many pilots were single. Given that there was no use for a Corvette in Gitmo it may have been unique to the situation that this was what they spent money on.

I'm not aware of any standard for watches, but that could vary by your unit. My guess is the majority would fall to wear what you brought. Since I was one of the few people on the ship that dove and many things I did involved getting wet it just seemed like the right choice. Not certain what it would be if I was in that situation today.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

6. Likes Chronopolitano, OhDark30, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Actually since I'm old those brands didn't exist when I was in the military. We seem to think that something like this is a tactical watch:

Back in the early 80's you could actually get a TT Rolex Sub from the Navy exchange catalog for under $900. So when I was a young Coast Guard Officer on dozen of law enforcement boardings this was my tactical watch. I was lead to it by a number of Navy pilots who were stationed in Gitmo that I met in the officers club there. Granted this was not really a family oriented base and many pilots were single. Given that there was no use for a Corvette in Gitmo it may have been unique to the situation that this was what they spent money on.

I'm not aware of any standard for watches, but that could vary by your unit. My guess is the majority would fall to wear what you brought. Since I was one of the few people on the ship that dove and many things I did involved getting wet it just seemed like the right choice. Not certain what it would be if I was in that situation today.
    Not so unusual I don't think (the Rolex). Had a friend that was a Naval Officer (Marine liaison) who also bought a Submariner (albeit stainless steel). But he told me the first time he got in the water (a bath), the thing fogged (guessing there may have been human error involved, he swears he bought it at an AD). Anyway, he took it back and bought a Heuer (or was it Tag Heuer?).

In the vietnam war era (US version), I have heard it was not uncommon for soldiers to buy/wear Seiko. Also many more "WIS" type brands, including Glycene, Benrus, O&W, Jenny, an occasional DOXA and yes, Rolex. There were a lot of choices, and Swiss watches had not yet gotten so "commercially priced". There were as always, bargain brands as well as higher end stuff, but the difference was far less I think.

I've seen modern day military pilots wearing Breitlings and Omegas. Not lots of them, but they are there.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

8. Likes Samanator liked this post
    This titanium proteek was my watch as infantry in Iraq, it went through a lot :-D now one of my working watches :-)

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

10. Likes M. Montaigne, iyonk liked this post

12. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Damn, Tom. You have some great watches.

14. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    I'm sure Seiko's were the military watch of choice in Vietnam or perhaps most accessible to the G.I ,no doubt Willard [Sheen] Apoc Now has made the 6105-8110 iconic - but seldom mentioned is Kurtz [Brando] wearing what appears to be the Rolex gmt that has lost its bezel! it is stated that Brando was a Rolex guy --nice to think maybe possibly then his own watch !Name:  seiko-6105-gear-patrol-3.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  95.7 KBName:  home_image.2274593.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  56.7 KB

16. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Here are a few of mine. Military and Military inspired.

Marathon

Precista, except for the one in the middle

U.S.N.Bu.Ship homage

~Daniel~

18. Likes Chronopolitano, deCompression, Clarky liked this post