Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philippe Dufour

Philippe Dufour

I just made a search and couldn't find an article about Philippe Dufour on the forum, except that it was mentioned in some posts..
    For me, he is the top of the High-End..

Let me allow to start a topic for the great master. I was able to meet with him this summer during my visit at Vallee de Joux. He was spending time on the Grand Sonnerie when I visited him, which will be (according to his words) probably the latest one that he will ever make..

Here is also a quick shot of Simplicity. The left one is the so called 000 prototype which he brought from his personal safe..

2. Likes is that my watch, mlcor, FuzzyB, Adi4 liked this post
    got to say I love a sub six the one on the right is rather taking
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes ytk liked this post
    I like the prototype... is that an enamel dial?

Right one yes, enamel dial..

There is IMO no one making movements that are more beautifully finished. It's almost a shame to have to turn it over and look at the dial...

Name:  Philippe-Dufour-Simplicity_Detail Small.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  110.6 KB

He explained and showed how he does the finishing. Everything is done manually, by hand or by manual machinery. Machines are also quite interesting. Most of them are 60-70 years old.

He thinks that this added value is the most important thing for the Swiss watchmaking and said that Swiss watch industry is about to lose that talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ytk View Post
    He explained and showed how he does the finishing. Everything is done manually, by hand or by manual machinery. Machines are also quite interesting. Most of them are 60-70 years old.

He thinks that this added value is the most important thing for the Swiss watchmaking and said that Swiss watch industry is about to lose that talent.
    There's some nice machine work videos from Roger Smith in the guilloche thread: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?t=5326

10. Likes ytk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    There is IMO no one making movements that are more beautifully finished. It's almost a shame to have to turn it over and look at the dial...

Name:  Philippe-Dufour-Simplicity_Detail Small.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  110.6 KB
    He should make a skeleton watch. Problem solved

12. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    He should make a skeleton watch. Problem solved
    I'm sure he'd be willing to do a bespoke one for you. Probably wouldn't cost more than a modest house. In San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I'm sure he'd be willing to do a bespoke one for you. Probably wouldn't cost more than a modest house. In San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish!

16. Likes mlcor liked this post