Likes Likes:  4

Thread: My first Quartz!

My first Quartz!

Yes indeed, this is the first quartz watch I have bought since becoming a watch fan. It is not just an ordinary quartz though. It is an Accuquartz, ETAs mechanical quartz hybrid. To be precise: ETA 205.911 autoquartz with hand-winding, 17j, gilt, freq.= 32768 Hz, power reserve=115 days

This is barely a restoration, but I have been remiss in my duties here, so...

Just in yesterday, pretty cheap and really, really dirty.

Filthy, stained case and a polished bracelet that is closer to "brushed". This is after it has already been extensively cleaned.

What indiginity do you think it suffered to scuff the sapphire back like this?

Did the old NSA trick with this bracelet. Completely disassembled it, put it in the ulltrasonic cleaner, then reassembled it, sanded and polished.
    The bracelet segment in the foreground is merely cleaned and reassembled, the one in the background has had a sand and first polish.

The case back and the steel portion of the case were sanded and polished. I managed to rescue the ref. number. The display got a polish with a Cape Cod, but I might get some diamond paste for it.

It ticks, it holds a charge, the hacking and handwind features function. Here's what I am sitting with now.

2. Likes FuzzyB, Smeagal, 93EXCivic, iyonk liked this post
    That's a great looking watch, Henry!

I briefly had an Omega Seamaster Omegamatic with the same movement. That one was suffering from an aged capacitor and never worked all that well. I have the non-hand winding version of the movement in a Swatch Autoquarz, but that takes a lot of swinging around to get wound up to wear, so it sits in a drawer for the most part.

The scratches on the display back make me wonder if the person who owned it before you also wore a bit of diamond jewelry, too. Either that or they really hated the watch and tried to destroy it by grinding it on a brick.

They did a number on it for sure. There was not a bit of steel that wasn't scuffed and scratched as badly as I have ever seen, There is a giant ding in the side of the steel case around 8:00.

I hear the capacitors are a pain. The Rado version apparently uses a Panasonic rechargeable battery though. One that apparently is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    They did a number on it for sure. There was not a bit of steel that wasn't scuffed and scratched as badly as I have ever seen, There is a giant ding in the side of the steel case around 8:00.

I hear the capacitors are a pain. The Rado version apparently uses a Panasonic rechargeable battery though. One that apparently is still available.
    I've done a capacitor on an autoquartz and it's fine once you get the winding bridge off. The only really difficult one is the Megaquartz, but that's mainly because it's a monocoque. .

looking good Henry
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842