Likes Likes:  535
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Wednesday - 18 November 2015 »»»»»»»»»

Going another day with this one.
    It shortcoming with no lume reared its head last night when I had to pick up my daughter from her JV basketball practice at 730pm last night. Was running a little late and then tried to glance down at my wrist by habit to check how much time I had while I was driving and couldn't see a dang thing. LOL I don't care...still a fun affordable watch. Next time just need to remember to switch watches when the sun goes down

Noon switch.

This watch was the one responsible for all my craziness for chronographs. Got it new in the mid-70s, from a brand that was almost exclusively an "encaser"and has already disappeared.

Name:  PB180004b.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  330.2 KB

Fortunately, they chose a movement (at the time) found everywhere: the Valjoux 7733. As you can see, this highly reliable movement is not decorated and was kept in its more basic presentation. Still, it's quite well finished in an industrial kind of way. And truth be told, I'm not very fond of the almost baroque (hyper) ornamentation chosen by a certain number of brands; but I also prefer solid case backs, so…

Name:  PB180005.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  309.3 KB

I had the watch serviced recently; the case was cleaned but not polished – not even lightly. Over the years, the watch collected its fair share of scratches…but they're all mine.

While in college, I was a member of the fencing team and the watch was always on my wrist. It even experienced a brutal shock with a sword blade and the crystal had to be replaced a few years later. The watch never stopped running. Yes, maybe I was acting a bit foolish. But then again, mechanical watches are (or were?!) quite resistant, despite our constant fears - mine included.

Name:  PB180006.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  326.7 KB

The dial has a detail not very common. The seconds scale is replaced by a decimal scale.It may be useful for industrial timing or statistical analysis, but it did bother me at first. How does it work? Imagine you're timing the duration of some procedure and the chrono's hand points to where we generally expect to see the 15s mark; here, you read 25 and it means 0.25 minutes. Not so cool when you only need to read the seconds, though…

Name:  PB180007.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  376.0 KB

Well, guess all these little idiosyncrasies become acceptable after +40 years living together.
    Last edited by CFR; Nov 18, 2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: don't know why, but the system decided not to respect the blanks...now corrected.

Hold on didn't I take exactly the same picture yesterday at almost exactly the same time!?

Oh well must mean I have actually done some work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

This post is what watches are all about for me. The journey together. It's why I treasure the watches I own 40+ years later over any "famous" brand newly-purchased. True that I'm making memories with watches I've had for much shorter times, but nothing replaces the wonderful wabi I've added to watches that have travelled the decades with me.

, C.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Noon switch.

This watch was the one responsible for all my craziness for chronographs. Got it new in the mid-70s, from a brand that was almost exclusively an "encaser"and has already disappeared.

Name:  PB180004b.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  330.2 KB

Fortunately, they chose a movement (at the time) found everywhere: the Valjoux 7733. As you can see, this highly reliable movement is not decorated and was kept in its more basic presentation. Still, it's quite well finished in an industrial kind of way. And truth be told, I'm not very fond of the almost baroque (hyper) ornamentation chosen by a certain number of brands; but I also prefer solid case backs, so…

Name:  PB180005.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  309.3 KB

I had the watch serviced recently; the case was cleaned but not polished – not even lightly. Over the years, the watch collected its fair share of scratches…but they're all mine.

While in college, I was a member of the fencing team and the watch was always on my wrist. It even experienced a brutal shock with a sword blade and the crystal had to be replaced a few years later. The watch never stopped running. Yes, maybe I was acting a bit foolish. But then again, mechanical watches are (or were?!) quite resistant, despite our constant fears - mine included.

Name:  PB180006.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  326.7 KB

The dial has a detail not very common. The seconds scale is replaced by a decimal scale.It may be useful for industrial timing or statistical analysis, but it did bother me at first. How does it work? Imagine you're timing the duration of some procedure and the chrono's hand points to where we generally expect to see the 15s mark; here, you read 25 and it means 0.25 minutes. Not so cool when you only need to read the seconds, though…

Name:  PB180007.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  376.0 KB

Well, guess all these little idiosyncrasies become acceptable after +40 years living together.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Nov 18, 2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: sPelUng...
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes CFR, iyonk, OhDark30, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post

, C.
    Thank you, Sherry.

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Swap out to the Junky for this evening.

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Evening switch to the Heritage 1935

PB181642 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PB181644 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PB181643 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:15 AM.