Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Tudor, first real look.

Tudor, first real look.

So, I got my first close look at the Tudor range today. Didn't get time to handle them, but I spent a while looking closely under the AD's expertly placed lighting. Obviously, as we all know, this does make watches catch the eye as much as possible.

But, unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. I looked mostly at the Black Bay, Ranger, Heritage Chrono and Pelagos.

Contrary to the pictures I have seen the BB really didn't sing to me. It looked rather plain in fact. The Chrono's dial looked very flat, which I know it is, and the watch looked overly thick. The titanium case of the Pelagos just looked dull. I really missed the bling of their Rolex cousins, and it really highlighted the way Rolex shine for me. But perhaps that is the point. Perhaps they are truer to their tool watch brief. They just didn't do it for me.

I have just realised that I didn't see an Advisor. That may have been different. Unfortunately the other, slightly dressier DayDate type models are not really my cup of tea (although they looked larger than I expected).

However, there was one exception. The Ranger. It looked great, and whereas it looks dull and plain in pictures it look more "special" in the metal. Still "tool-watchish", but quality "tool-watchish". Perhaps it was just that it looked better than expected, and the others look less special than I had hoped, but it was the stand-out piece for me and the one I would be most likely to buy.

I know these pieces have a loyal fan base, and I am sure that admiration is deserved. I am also sure that those who have fallen for them will continue to enjoy them. They just weren't what I expected.
    Last edited by OrangeSport; Nov 27, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

i can only speak for the Pelagos being that I own one. The Pelagos is exactly what it is meant to be, a dive watch with no bling/shine or showiness in any way, its meant to look "dull".

Made with grade 5 titanium with an all satin finish, no polished parts, matte dial, matte ceramic bezel and injected bezel lume, AR on the crystal and monochrome hands/dial. What some see as dull I see as perfectly engineered.

For the purposes they made it for and the style they wanted I think they did a perfect job. As long as that is what you want and prepared for it is a fantastic piece.

Bit surprised about your thoughts on the Black Bay, although I've never seen one, I have heard great things about them.

3. Likes OrangeSport, cpl liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    i can only speak for the Pelagos being that I own one. The Pelagos is exactly what it is meant to be, a dive watch with no bling/shine or showiness in any way, its meant to look "dull".
    Yes, you're right. I am sure this is the desired look, and they have certainly achieved it. I guess, thinking about it, it makes sense. Rather than competing for Sub / SeaDweller customers they are producing a more tool looking watch to i) draw in a different crowd and ii) offer Sub customers an additional, rather than alternative, watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Bit surprised about your thoughts on the Black Bay, although I've never seen one, I have heard great things about them.
    Not as surprised as I was!
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

5. Likes Steppy liked this post
    I know exactly what you mean. When I first held a Tudor Heritage in my hand, I was underwhelmed by the dial. Flat, or dull, or boring, I don't know. But based on the pictures I loved it, but I was also disappointed when I saw it in the 'flesh'

7. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    I was just as surprised when I first saw the BB Blue. It photographs so well that I think I had a bit of an expectation that just wasn't met. The Red was nicer but that just isn't a colour for me.

The Heritage Chrono I do like, and have had two of them and still own the grey. The Blue was nice but was a bit to occasional of a wear so traded it off towards a Milgauss Z Blue.

Pelagos and iPad a bit of a slow start to our love affair. I'd ordered it site unseen and wasn't too sure what I thought of it on unboxing. A day later it gave me some grins, a week later I was completely sold and knew it was a keeper.

I'd like to manhandle an Advisor a bit in the near future. Thinking we would get along quite nicely.

Glad you folks are getting the Tudors over there finally regardless. It's about time.

I had just the opposite opinion when I viewed the Tudor line at a local AD in Tampa. I left wondering if I could possibly desire one in the future. I believe a second visit is in order!

Pretty much how I feel about them.
    The BlackBay is a good looking watch that is perhaps 1-2mm too wide and I'm not a fan of the deep watch case.

It's like they deliberately had to make it not like a Rolex case and ended up with those tall slab sides.
    Mleok has a photo of his BlackBay next to his 114060 and even with the fat lugs, the BlackBay looks more than just 1mm bigger.

11. Likes Upstate liked this post