Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Relaxed SOTC

Relaxed SOTC

Inspired/implored by Der Amf, I've decided to do an SOTC. Not having the energy or time to do it all in one go, I've elected to do it in several parts and aim to alternate between single watch post (for my favourite pieces) and themed group posts for the others.
    As with many SOTCs this will probably include lots of vaguely nonsensical ramblings from me on my watch habits, so feel free to ignore the text and just look at the pictures.
    I will be giving away at least 2 of the watches from the collection at the end.

Up first is a group - The Chinese!

Pretty much immediately after getting into watches I realised that Chinese mechanicals represent great bang for your buck, especially if you don't have many bucks. My gateway watch was an Orient Mako, but after that I really got into Chinese pieces and went through a variety of Seagulls, Alphas, and so on. Still not owned a Parnis though, can't get past the name.

Anyway, all those watches have gone now (the one I miss most is the Seagull M199S, which was beautiful but at a fat 40mm just too big for me), and I'm currently enjoying this little sextet. All cheap, all reasonably good looking (some more than others), all mechanical,

Name:  P1120254.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  78.1 KB

Top: Shanghai 611 reissue - I love these reissues Shanghai do - cheap and lovely, typically small which works for me (6.3" wrist) and charmingly retro.
    Middle row (L to R): Fineat AT homage - CHEAP and it feels it. I bought it when I had a funny five minutes and ordered about 8 really cheap watches in about a week and still haven't worn it properly. Have it on a Hirsch strap which is worth about twice what the watch is.
    Shanghai HePing - this was my entry into the Shanghai reissues - very pretty with that lovely, radiant dial.
    Bagelsport Milgauss homage - I really like this, shiny and distinctive and fun. I have it on the bracelet from the Fineat as I couldn't size the Bagel bracelet for my wrist.
    Shanghai 8120 reissue - like the 611 the dial on this isn't quite as crisp as I'd like (and certainly nowhere near the quality of the HePing) but it's still a fun retro watch and works well on leather or a nato.
    Bottom: Shanghai something or other - this is one of the watches I originally bought when I got into Chinese mechanicals way back when, then I sold it, then I missed it, then I bought another (there are a few I've done that with). Anyway, it's pretty rough (wonky indices, funny date magnifier) but has a lot of charm.

That's instalment one done, more tomorrow!

2. Likes Der Amf, geoffbot, scottjc, germy, DM71 liked this post
    I do love the idea that almost all the watches can go and leave you with a mere six

Anyway, thanks for doing one of these, I think you've picked the right format for you, and I'm looking forward to the rest. I wonder how many watches will join you before you're done presenting them....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I do love the idea that almost all the watches can go and leave you with a mere six

Anyway, thanks for doing one of these, I think you've picked the right format for you, and I'm looking forward to the rest. I wonder how many watches will join you before you're done presenting them....
    Ha ha, maybe one or two....
    I'll be adding some more pics of the six later hopefully, just need to get them off my old phone

Blog Entries
    'Bagelsport'? Seriously? What, is this a watch for timing competitive bagel eating matches? Do they have separate classes for each type of bagel? Seeded, plain, whole wheat, pumpernickel, traditional...?
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    'Bagelsport'? Seriously? What, is this a watch for timing competitive bagel eating matches? Do they have separate classes for each type of bagel? Seeded, plain, whole wheat, pumpernickel, traditional...?
    It is one of my favourite brand names, because it's so utterly ridiculous

7. Likes Strange, Chicolabronse liked this post
    Better pics of some of them
    Name:  IMG_20140630_172133.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  71.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140627_181148.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  83.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20140623_054027.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  84.0 KB

Last edited by whatmeworry; Nov 27, 2014 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Mmm cinnamon
    I gave Mrs wmw bagels the first morning we spent together. The rest is history

11. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I have to say, getting all the photos from the Instagram folder one my old phone makes me think "Jesus, I've owned a lot of watches."
    Also, "Why the hell did I sell that one...."

For example, look at this lovely Seiko group shot. I don't have ANY of these any more.
    Name:  IMG_20130821_123511.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  125.9 KB

13. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Ooh you sold a spork? I hope you made a few quid back!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague