Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new Sinn arrival

A new Sinn arrival

I've had this 857 Utc 24 hours now. It arrived whilst I was working away, and couldn't wait to get it on the wrist. Problem was that I didn't have the two hex keys required to adjust the bracelet! I had to go shopping today, and here she is.

The 42mm wide case fits me perfectly in my opinion. Its fairly unobstrusive height of 12mm is pretty slim for me, so im going to find this very easy to wear.

The case and bracelet are both fully tegimented, and despite being a used piece purchased new in 2009, its in mint condition. The watch was serviced by Sinn in 2013, and all gaskets, crown and mainspring were replaced then.

Notes and observations: The bezel rotates both ways; the sapphire crystal is flat but coated on both faces; the utc hand adjusts independently; the bracelet includes a dive extension (although this is a pilot watch design); the case lets you know when it's had water ingress as there's a handy indicator built in; the 22mm lugs are drilled, and the bezel action is as nice as any Seiko I've owned but with a unique soft ratcheting feel as opposed to hard metallic clicking. The case and bracelet have a soft, velvety feel with no sharp edges. The feel of the steel is brought about by the fine grain of the bead blasted finish.

Cons: not sure how well the outer coating on the glass will stand up to accidental knocks? I would have preferred an independent hour hand as opposed to the independent 2nd time indicator (like an aquaterra etc). The date is slanted, and aesthically speaking, would perhaps have looked better angled horizontally, however. I also note that the positioning at 4 is optimal for reading on a watch worn on the left wrist.
    Summary: Built to last; no-nonsense tool aesthetics, but refined enough that I at least can happily take anywhere. I already know this is a keeper. Its my first German, and I feel glad to join the club.

Hehe glad you've finally got it, and got that bracelet sized The bezel looks *so* neat and nimble - love to see a be-bezelled watch still being only 12mm. Overall looks to be a very sleek fit on you. I pity your poor other watches - I can imagine this one be veryyy greedy. I'll look forward to seeing it 4REAL after Christmas. You can demonstrate its WR by dunking it in a pint?

I think that for a company like Sinn there aren't any movements readily available which have the hour hand independently set rather than the the 24 hour hand. You'll be needing a Rolex I guess

I like date windows at 4 o'clock on dials with big numerals at 12 - 3 - 6 - 9, 12 - date - 6 - 9 always looks a bit pointless to me.

If the outer AR coating gets scratched I can (I think) direct you to online tutorials which tell you how to go about removing it (A. Carefully)

Will this be your One Watch when you go abroad with work?

PS welcome to German watches! Don't they feel great?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Dec 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: all the typos

When I opened the watch I noticed that one half of the bracelet had been fitted back to front
    After trying to refit it after re-sizing I noticed the end link and penultimate link didn't mesh properly, that's when I realised half the links, including the dive extension piece had been fitted incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    When I opened the watch I noticed that one half of the bracelet had been fitted back to front
    After trying to refit it after re-sizing I noticed the end link and penultimate link didn't mesh properly, that's when I realised half the links, including the dive extension piece had been fitted incorrectly.
    Have you got it all nicely sorted out now? No harm done?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Have you got it all nicely sorted out now? No harm done?
    Yup, all sorted and no harm done!

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Hehe glad you've finally got it, and got that bracelet sized The bezel looks *so* neat and nimble - love to see a be-bezelled watch still being only 12mm. Overall looks very sleekly fitting on you. I pity your poor other watches - I can imagine this one be veryyy greedy. I'll look forward to seeing in 4REAL after Christmas. You can demonstrate its WR by dunking it in a pint?

I think that for a company like Sinn their aren't any movements readily available which have the hour hand independently set rather than the the 24 hour hand. You'll be needing a Rolex I guess

or a quartz Citizen

I like date windows at 4 o'clock on dials with big numerals at 12 - 3 - 6 - 9, 12-date-6-9 looks a bit pointless to me.
    Agree. Its got to be all 4 points, or 2, or even 1.

If the outer AR coating gets scratched I can (I think) direct you to online tutorials which tell you how to go about removing it (A. carefully)

I think acetone takes it off?

Will this be your One Watch when you go abroad with work?

I reckon I would also pack the Nighthawk......

PS welcome to German watches! Don't they feel great?
    Oh yes, and might not be my last!!

8. Likes FuzzyB, Der Amf, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    What an excellent Sinn! That model is one of my favorite Sinns. The size is perfect for the style watch and it is such a cohesive design. I wish other brands would take note about the unobtrusive date placement.

Congrats!

Lovely looking watch Dave and it appears to fit your wrist perfectly. I hope you'll be very happy together.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

11. Likes man of kent liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    Oh yes, and might not be my last!!
    Let's hope it's just the first of many!

13. Likes man of kent, Der Amf liked this post
    A solid watch in every respect.