Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday...the Odyssey Continues

Blog Entries

Black Friday...the Odyssey Continues

Earlier I posted that my electric shaver died this morning and I needed to go get a Black Friday bargain at Walmart. Later this afternoon I broke out the Christmas CDs and was happily listening when "snap,crackle pop" - my 25 year old stereo receiver kicked the bucket. Not a peep out of it.
    So it was off to Best Buy and Black Friday Part Deux.
    The store was busy but everyone was friendly. The harried lady I talked to didn't have time for a lot of hand holding but she listened to my problem and said: "This is really all you need - $150."
    So I came home with a shiny new Sony stereo receiver. It cost about 1/3 what the old receiver did in 1989. It has twice the power. It works.
    It doesn't have a phono preamp but practically nothing mainstream does these days. Vinyl is obsolete don't you know? However I can get a preamp for $20 later on if I want to use my old Akai turntable. My CDs play again. I'm happy.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

2. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My Black Friday experience consisted of a telephone call to Puzzle Warehouse. I now have five new jigsaws on their way to me at 25% off and free shipping.

Jeannie

The Rolls VP29 is a great phono stage for around $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    My Black Friday experience consisted of a telephone call to Puzzle Warehouse. I now have five new jigsaws on their way to me at 25% off and free shipping.

Jeannie
    Ah yes - you love the puzzles! What's your biggest so far?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Ah yes - you love the puzzles! What's your biggest so far?
    1500 pieces. I do it for relaxation, not challenge so I'm not terribly ambitious. 1000 piece is actually the most popular size and it's my favorite as well.

Jeannie

having adopted this American Black Friday thing for the first time the UK embraced it fully with many arrests both lawful and cardiac -with fights and mayhem - incredible , frightening and disturbing to see the animal instincts of the average British bargain hunter

Ray, vinyl is back don't you know? Which receiver kicked the bucket? Probably can be fixed. recap maybe?

Yeah plenty of phono preamps out there if you need. I'm going to try to build one myself, even though my preamp has a phono input.

Actually plan to wash some vinyl tonight, fun times

9. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    1500 pieces. I do it for relaxation, not challenge so I'm not terribly ambitious. 1000 piece is actually the most popular size and it's my favorite as well
    Is this at home or at 'work' ?
    Isn't is a bit difficult to put all the pieces away quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    having adopted this American Black Friday thing for the first time the UK embraced it fully with many arrests both lawful and cardiac -with fights and mayhem - incredible , frightening and disturbing to see the animal instincts of the average British bargain hunter
    It's just ridiculous isn't it. Proof that we don't deserve nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Probably can be fixed. recap maybe?
    Shame there's a huge ocean between Ray and I or I'd offer my services

It's just ridiculous isn't it. Proof that we don't deserve nice things.
    Just reeediculous , just shows how stupid the general public is

13. Likes gnuyork liked this post