Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap for a 7s26?

Swap for a 7s26?

I have a blown 7s26A in an SKX 007. I want to replace it with a hand winding, hackable movement that will accept 7s26 dial and handset.

Can anyone please provide a quick answer? I've done some looking, and I'm not getting a quick answer (which probably should tell me something).

If you know and tell me, I'll like every one of your posts for the next week.

I'll appreciate any help that can be provided!

Grand Master Seiko Fanboy mike120's Avatar
    IIRC, you'll need a SII NH36 (the Seiko Instruments branded 4r36), a crown and stem which will work for hacking and hand winding (I suggest one from the SKX cased Alpinists, like the SARB061), and (possibly) a crystal with higher clearance because the seconds hand pinion is (I think) taller.
    Cheers,
    Mike

3. Likes hwa liked this post
    Thanks! (and especially for not just telling me to go figure it out myself!) Any idea where to source an appropriate sized crown/stem that'll fit the skx case? If I just get one of the alpinist's, can I just steal that crown/stem?

Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    Thanks! (and especially for not just telling me to go figure it out myself!) Any idea where to source an appropriate sized crown/stem that'll fit the skx case? If I just get one of the alpinist's, can I just steal that crown/stem?
    Wouldn't make sense to buy an alpinist and scavenge it. Wherever you source the movement will surely supply you the crown+stem...
    Last edited by T1ck; Nov 29, 2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Auto cucumber

totally agree. if anyone knows where to source a movement only, I'm all ears...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master Seiko Fanboy mike120's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    Email Rob at Monsterwatches, he will take care of you with the crown. It will cost far far less than the cannibalizing an Alpinist. I would also check with him regarding the movement... If not Startime Supply in Texas will be able to hook you up if you're in the US.
    Cheers,
    Mike

8. Likes hwa liked this post
    Thanks for that great tip. Just sourced an NE15 from Star Time, and a new crown + stem assembly from Rob. Lot of $$ to spend for the ability to handwind and hack, but what the hell, all in good fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoping for a little more help. Picked up an NE15 to swap for a 7s26 in an 007-0020 case. Some extra parts came along with it, as pictured. Can anyone please tell me what I've got here? I know the little screws are to attach the two flat pieces, but to what? What's the ring for?
    Name:  NE15.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  36.7 KB

The long thing is your new stem. The crown will screw onto the threaded end. Note that the stem might need cutting to length; this is where a little skill is required or you will knacker the threads and the crown won't screw onto it.
    The ring is a spacer to hold it into some cases. The flat bits and screws are anchors to hold the movement in the case. The temporary stem and green crown can be chucked.

Thanks! As I found it irresistible to screw around with the NE15 prior to setting it in the case, I of course seem to have created a problem. The quickset date no longer functions. Pretty clearly something has disengaged. I removed and replaced the stem on the off chance there was something simple, but no good. Anyone have any clever ideas outside of taking it to a watchmaker, which I suspect is my next step.

Also, can anybody tell me how to affix the 7s26 movement holder to the ne15 for installation into the 0020 case? seemed like it should just kinda snap on, but a screw hole was overlapping the date wheel, so that can't be right. Goofing around with that, if I have my guess, is what knackered the date wheel.