Likes Likes:  370
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

I figured I'd start this thread as I've been in the consumer electronics, home entertainment space for over 35 years. A bit about my background;

I started as a stock boy at age 15 at an old HiFi chain called Tech HiFi. Worked my way through school by working at HiFi stores in Harvard Square and Boston, and when out, tried my hand at what I studied and hated it. I was a mediocre musician at best and wanted to be around music, so I went on to manage an A/V store called Sound Advice in HVD2.

Worked in retail for many years and landed a job at Cambridge Soundworks, one of the first direct to consumer companies, moved on to a company called CWD which sold purpose designed A/V furniture, and they were owned by the same company that owned and distributed B&W speakers and Rotel electronics. I was the National Sales Manager for CWD but I got to wear the B&W and Rotel hats while traveling the US on occasion.

Went to Linn Products (Scotland) as the National and moved on to perhaps my best gig until my latest, which was the VP of Sales and Marketing for Mark Levinson. I got to work with the engineering team on design (mostly ID as I'm no engineer), and I ran the brand worldwide. Did this for a few years and went on to be the President of Meridian in NA, but only for a year as my Dad passed and I moved back home to be with my family.

I distributed the Wharfedale brand of speakers for the past 4-5 years and very recently, two weeks ago, took a position with SVS speakers as Director of Global Sales. SVS makes the best subwoofers in the world and our new speakers are one of the best values anywhere.

The system I'm currently listening to consists of modified Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers with a Linn 2250 power amp and a modified Anthem Pre-1L tube preamp. Sources are a Wadia CD player, Toshiba Blue Ray (for 2 channel theater) and I am in the midst of picking out a new turntable/arm/cartridge combo. The system sounds incredible. I recently had a Mark Levnson/Kharma speakers/VPI/Wadia system set up in the same room and believe it or not, this sounds better (it's the speakers for sure).

I have so many speakers and components lying around....too much to list. Of course, I have my SVS system on the way of Ultra Towers and two subs (probably the SB13 Ultras but not sure yet). More on that sound when set up and broken in.

One thing that I've come to know over the past few years....you don't have to spend tens of thousands to get great sound anymore. I'm not suggesting that $200 receivers are great, they are not, but you can get an excellent system for $6-7k now that would have cost $15k or more years ago.

I do consider myself an expert on system design/setup/room integration and placement, so please, if anyone has any questions or is seeking opinions about purchases, feel free to run them by me. I'd truly be very happy to help anyone find the best sound for their outlay regardless of how much that is.

One more thing....I am not an audiophile. Always disliked that term. I am a music lover that wants to experience the full emotional impact that an exceptional sound, high performance system delivers.

What gear are you listening to or contemplating purchasing or upgrading to? How does your system sound?

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Yours in music,

Walter
    Last edited by wschofield3; Nov 29, 2014 at 04:05 PM.

I just love the sound of good music on a good quality system. I have an older Kenwood system with an Akai tape deck, and a Dual turntable (long live vinyl!!). The setup sounds terrific.
    That said, I've kinda gone to the dark side and mostly listen to my music on my iPod just for convenience, or sometimes through my desktop PC.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

3. Likes wschofield3, gnuyork liked this post
    Busman's holiday for me - no comment.

Partly the reason I buy watches now

I would say my set up is pretty nice for the money I paid.

My main system consists of Adcom gear:

GFA 5500 amp
    GTP 555 preamp
    Dual 601 turntable
    Denon DL 110 cartridge
    Kimber Kables interconnects and speaker wire (though speaker wire not in use yet - using generic copper wire that is already ran through my floor before moving in)

My speakers are made by an American company that is not so well known - SLS (out of St. Louis I believe). They are unique in that they use planar ribbon tweeters. I have a pair of their towers, and a 12 inch sub, all in the rosenut finish. I think retail was in the 5k range for the towers and 2K range for the sub, but I did not pay anything for them (it was a trade deal for the work I do).

I got the the Adcom gear for $100 used plus shipping from Cali (another $100), I just recently purchased the TT (my cuurent obsession) from a craigslist sale for $75

I spent more on cables and the phono cartridge than the actual gear. Not too bad for the money spent.

6. Likes wschofield3, Chicolabronse liked this post
    My home theater set up consists of smaller SLS speakers and sub (right now set up as only 3.1), Panasonic plasma (still a plasma fan all the way), Yamaha receiver, Panasonic Blu Ray player, Apple TV:

8. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    My home theater set up consists of smaller SLS speakers and sub (right now set up as only 3.1), Panasonic plasma (still a plasma fan all the way), Yamaha receiver, Panasonic Blu Ray player, Apple TV:

Great system, and I completely agree with Plasma! It stinks that Panasonic decided to get out of the game earlier in the year. Looks like Samsung is the only game in town now but they do a great job. I wonder how long before they decide to get out as production fallout and cost is way higher than LED and others.

Walter, thanks for starting this thread. I love reading about and seeing people's set ups. I've sort of always wanted to work in the HiFi industry. You're lucky!

and because this excites me so much, a pic of my Dual. 40 years old and still works!!

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Walter, thanks for starting this thread. I love reading about and seeing people's set ups. I've sort of always wanted to work in the HiFi industry. You're lucky!

and because this excites me so much, a pic of my Dual. 40 years old and still works!!

Sweet vintage table! If you ever need it rebuilt or worked on, I know a great guy to do it and it isn't me. Vinyl rules!

Blog Entries
    Nothing too fancy. Akai turntable, Technics CD player, Sony receiver, Canadian made Mirage speakers. Everything's about 25 years old or more except the receiver which is new.
    @Walter I bought a pair of Wharfedale W30D Super Lintons back in 1969 and they still sound great. My daughter has them today.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

13. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92THX, with 7.1 surround assisted by a Pioneer Elite 8600S Pre-Amp, and all Klipsch speakers.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx