Likes Likes:  370
Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

And a bit more.. 7 sound boxes. Speakers seems like an odd name.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

2. Likes wschofield3, tribe125 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    And a bit more.. 7 sound boxes. Speakers seems like an odd name.

I dunno, a loudspeaker emits sound. Wouldn’t a sound box be something that contained sound rather than emitting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you an attorney or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I dunno, a loudspeaker emits sound. Wouldn’t a sound box be something that contained sound rather than emitting it?

5. Likes mlcor, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Are you an attorney or something.

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    No, he's a musician.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    No, he's a musician.
    Sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    No, he's a musician.
    Pfffttt... like a musician would know anything about "speakers". LOL

11. Likes mlcor, geoffbot liked this post
    The worst systems I’ve heard that were supposed to be good were owned by musicians. Maybe we musicians are skilled at hearing how it should be instead of how it is.

Rick “afraid of TRVTH” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

I was once in the home of a famous musician and told him his hi-fi was dreadful.

His reply, effectively, was that he only needed a cue, like he only needed sheet music to hear a string quartet. With hi-fi, his ears translated what he heard into live performance.

That didn’t stop him whacking up the volume to near-distortion, though.

14. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Just bought a vintage pair of Canton bookshelf speakers for the bedroom we use for working out. I have a SMSL chifi Bluetooth POS integrated amp (think Krell 300i but without,...well,...any...of its qualities except that it is really light and compact) that I will use until it annoys me too much—I play music from my phone. But it’s limited to plain Bluetooth from my iPhone.

Then, I’ll stick a Bluetooth receiver onto an old 40-watt Kenwood integrated amp. I’m thinking of an ifi Zen Blue receiver, which will play my high-sample files that my iPhone sends as AAC files.

If that isn’t loud enough, I’ll throw my Carver amp and a spare Adcom preamp at it. That would exceed current redhead tolerance, though, so one step at a time. She doesn’t know about the speakers yet.

I have a pair of the little Andrew Jones-designed Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers in my office that I thought about duplicating, but I don’t love how they congest in the lower mid bass. They sound just like ported speakers, and my ears seem to be calibrated for acoustic suspension. The Canton GL260 from back in the 80’s have a reputation for good enough bass not to strictly need a sub-woofer, which would be a no-go, and they are sealed cabinets (woofer’s 50% bigger, too). They have a similar 2” dome tweeter to what ADS/Braun was using at that time, which I’ve always thought sounded nice.

We shall see. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

Rick “just completing his tour of small, sub-$200, front-ported or sealed speakers, and missed out on a cheap pair of Polk RT25i’s” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.