Likes Likes:  370
Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Nice room, good luck with the acoustics and equipment placement.
    I'm curious - why are you concerned about comb filtering? It would seem OK unless you position the Duntechs other than in their vertical axis.
    Thank you! My concerns have to do with the untreated areas of angled ceiling, if I were to point the speakers lengthwise down the room. Spot treatment will be quite tricky on parts of the ceiling to the sides of the clouds, and I can visualize the classic "mirror test" showing reflection paths that land at my ears from symmetrical sides with the likelihood of smearing the impulse response. Perpendicular placement offers better opportunity for spot treatment of reflection paths.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Thank you! My concerns have to do with the untreated areas of angled ceiling, if I were to point the speakers lengthwise down the room. Spot treatment will be quite tricky on parts of the ceiling to the sides of the clouds, and I can visualize the classic "mirror test" showing reflection paths that land at my ears from symmetrical sides with the likelihood of smearing the impulse response. Perpendicular placement offers better opportunity for spot treatment of reflection paths.
    OK, gotcha! Room looks great and if I can assist with any gear you may desire, LMK.

3. Likes skywatch liked this post
    I sold these speakers back in my early days in retail at Tech Hifi, a 72 store chain east of the Mississippi.

Super fond memories, but memories are not always accurate.

In this case, they were. This is a reworked, a bit modified pair of Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's - and they are still, by modern standards, excellent.

Not as good as my reference Alta Audio speakers by a long shot, but still great midrange, smooth highs, but a bit of "Bextrene quack" from the Watkins woofer at higher volumes. It is minimized by the 250 w/ch Krell KSA 250s and the Duo 300XD, I started with a KSA-80 and the quack was much more prominent.

This is a pic before setting them up - beautiful, dontcha' think?

Name:  RS 2.5 .jpg
Views: 107
Size:  62.3 KB

And one from the restoration/modification guru prior to pickup -

Name:  RS 2.5 1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  86.9 KB

5. Likes mlcor liked this post
    I sold these speakers back in my early days in retail at Tech Hifi, a 72 store chain east of the Mississippi.

Super fond memories, but memories are not always accurate.

In this case, they were. This is a reworked, a bit modified pair of Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's - and they are still, by modern standards, excellent.

Not as good as my reference Alta Audio speakers by a long shot, but still great midrange, smooth highs, but a bit of "Bextrene quack" from the Watkins woofer at higher volumes. It is minimized by the 250 w/ch Krell KSA 250s and the Duo 300XD, I started with a KSA-80 and the quack was much more prominent.

This is a pic before setting them up - beautiful, dontcha' think?

Name:  RS 2.5 .jpg
Views: 107
Size:  62.3 KB

And one from the restoration/modification guru prior to pickup -

Name:  RS 2.5 1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  86.9 KB
    I think I remember those—ribbon tweeters, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    I think I'm going to stick with a sound bar and sub woofer for my house. Recommendations under £500? Want Bluetooth and/or WiFi so I can stream to it, maybe alexa enabled.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I think I remember those—ribbon tweeters, yes?

Yes, the tweets are called "EMIT's" (electro magnetic induction tweeters) and the midranges, EMIM's.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I think I'm going to stick with a sound bar and sub woofer for my house. Recommendations under £500? Want Bluetooth and/or WiFi so I can stream to it, maybe alexa enabled.
    Get a real system, sell a watch if you need to.

Yes, the tweets are called "EMIT's" (electro magnetic induction tweeters) and the midranges, EMIM's.

Get a real system, sell a watch if you need to.
    Ha!

11. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Go on then - what is best for 50% films 50% music for £1k - I want front speakers only and I like bass so maybe a sub too? What hi fi recommends all sorts in its best buy home cinema section from atmos sound bars which obviously sound cool in principle to simple 2 desk speakers with in built amp units. I'd consider used as per Robert's suggestion the other day but I'd want a warranty so...And I can't be arsed buying seperate things - want 1 receipt. Only inputs needed are optical from TV and WiFi streaming is essential, alexa a nice add on, multi room future potential additions would be nice.

I might just get this. I don't suspect I'll be able to appreciate anything better, yet.

https://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m41dab/review
    Last edited by geoffbot; Apr 11, 2022 at 02:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Go on then - what is best for 50% films 50% music for £1k - I want front speakers only and I like bass so maybe a sub too? What hi fi recommends all sorts in its best buy home cinema section from atmos sound bars which obviously sound cool in principle to simple 2 desk speakers with in built amp units. I'd consider used as per Robert's suggestion the other day but I'd want a warranty so...And I can't be arsed buying seperate things - want 1 receipt. Only inputs needed are optical from TV and WiFi streaming is essential, alexa a nice add on, multi room future potential additions would be nice.

I might just get this. I don't suspect I'll be able to appreciate anything better, yet.

https://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m41dab/review

At that price point, it might be a good choice although impossible to know without trying it. Obviously those who know high-end gear will scoff at it. It sounds like your initial needs are not extravagant, and if you want to upgrade in the future, you would not have wasted much money on the first revision. I generally have a good opinion of Denon. If you want to research a similar brand, I could recommend that you investigate recent offerings from Onkyo/Integra. I am using an older model higher-end Integra DTC 9.8 as my surround decoder in the studio, and I have nothing bad to say about it.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes geoffbot liked this post

The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

I have the Sonos beam and 2 Sonos one sl’s (surrounds) and it’s awesome, has Wi-Fi and Alexa, it’s not going to rival a dedicated hifi/av set up but it’s a clean minimal install with virtually no cables, looks and sounds great with music and movies.

Last edited by Chicolabronse; Apr 11, 2022 at 08:07 AM.