Likes Likes:  370
Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

I'm not sure it's a great test. I sent it to three people who can't match a tune (they can sing a tune in tune but can't match the exact key of the radio etc, weird) and they all got similar scores to us which... Is wrong.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Huh, I scored 31/32? And I definitely can't sing or play any instrument.

I'm not confident with this test.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I'm not sure it's a great test. I sent it to three people who can't match a tune (they can sing a tune in tune but can't match the exact key of the radio etc, weird) and they all got similar scores to us which... Is wrong.

Updated/upgraded the analog setup this week.

VPI Classic table updated with the JMW Memorial 10" 3D printed arm vs the uni pivot arm prior, and put a Grado Statement cartridge on.

Installed a Sutherland Engineering phono pre amp today - it sounds great.

Name:  VPI2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  123.5 KB

All power and XLR/single ended interconnect cables are Cardas Clear Beyond except the table signal cables which are FMS and Zensati. Speakers connected with a shotgun set of Accusound solid silver cables which were custom made for me by the owner/designer a few years back.

The CD player is a place holder, waiting for a Luxman or Esoteric to come in.

Speakers are the amazing Alta Audio Lelantos, amp and pre amp are a rebuilt Krell KSA250S and the Illusion II.

This system is sounding absolutely amazing - organic, musical, dynamic, and the soundstage is deep, wide, aptly layered, with great placement specifity and size. It is by far not the most expensive system I've ever had, but is for sure the most enjoyable.

Getting a Bluesound Node for streaming this coming week, I had another end point but the Node is so much more flexible with Qobuz and Tidal hi res streaming services, so, making the change.

This pic was taken before the Sutherland install. That's a VPI phono pre amp but it did not have enough gain, hence the Sutherland.

Name:  System 2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  144.4 KB

Have a very musical week!
    Last edited by wschofield3; Oct 24, 2022 at 02:47 AM.

4. Likes geoffbot, tribe125, Sedi liked this post
    I know zilch about turntables, so ... nice Hotwheels!

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

6. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Installed the Bluesound Node tonight, using the onboard DAC for now until I can get to my storage unit and get my digital coax cables. Sounds good, very warm, good pace and rhythm and ok soundstage, but I expect the DAC in my Krell Illusion II pre amp will sound much better. I'll find out tomorrow.

There's something very cool having the worlds library of music at your fingertips playing back through Tidal or Qobuz high res streaming services.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    There's something very cool having the worlds library of music at your fingertips playing back through Tidal or Qobuz high res streaming services.

There must be, but personally I’m still resistant to streaming. I like locating and owning things, even if I have progressed to digital files rather than physical objects. In practical terms, I don’t like being reliant on an internet connection - and I really don’t like subscriptions.

Ripping and storing digital files brings its own inconveniences, but for me it’s preferable to storing thousands of CDs, and I can still select music from my armchair. I think I’m in an ‘in between’ generation.

9. Likes wschofield3, scottjc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    There must be, but personally I’m still resistant to streaming. I like locating and owning things, even if I have progressed to digital files rather than physical objects. In practical terms, I don’t like being reliant on an internet connection - and I really don’t like subscriptions.

Ripping and storing digital files brings its own inconveniences, but for me it’s preferable to storing thousands of CDs, and I can still select music from my armchair. I think I’m in an ‘in between’ generation.
    I was resistant as well, however, due to quality of sound issues. With the rise of Tidal and Qobuz and gear that allows a reasonable semblance of my best sources, my reticence has been alleviated.

I have over 10K record albums and 6K+ CD's, as well as 11TB of digital files, and being on Tidal and Qobuz is so much more convenient as I am on almost any tune in 10 seconds or less, and yes, there are songs I don't have, even with such an extensive "library".

Streaming will not replace my critical listening sessions, but it is so convenient.

Edit - $12 a month well spent!

11. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Even better than streaming media per se is the Spotify algorithm. My playlist is comprised 90% of bands I'd never heard of until Spotify recommended them to me. Here Name:  Screenshot_20221105-165306_Spotify.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  46.1 KB

The algorithm utterly rules.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

13. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Even better than streaming media per se is the Spotify algorithm. My playlist is comprised 90% of bands I'd never heard of until Spotify recommended them to me. Here Name:  Screenshot_20221105-165306_Spotify.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  46.1 KB

The algorithm utterly rules.
    Yeah, most streaming services do that, including Tidal and Qobuz, the two I use for high res service.

15. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    I'm looking for in-ear Bluetooth headphones. I don't like small earbuds, tried once but lost the other piece when it dropped while hiking on cliffs. I feel more secure when they're wrapped around my neck, so would like a cord in between. So I'm after something like these Sennheisers which are no longer available.

Any suggestions?

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/e...u0d53n3gtja90/