Likes Likes:  370
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

Awesome setups here. I went from this

To this

2. Likes iceman66, Chicolabronse liked this post
    My music is in FLAC files on a laptop, and gets played by MediaMonkey. The amp is usually a Naim Nait 5i, but it developed a hum and I haven't had it fixed, so the amp is a Cambridge 840 that I had knocking about. Speakers are PMC GB1.

I used to follow hi-fi developments, but haven't for some years. I doubt if I'll change any of my current equipment unless it breaks.

I sold my decent 2 channel rig Krell/Totem to finance my ultimate speaker build, a 3 way with Scanspeak drivers with a TL bass cabinet and I ran into some design issues with the cabinets/crossovers and haven't had the time to re-engineer things. Next spring I hope to build out the home theater/2 channel room. The surround sound will be based on (real) Klipsh speakers (Chorus 2 and Heresy) with reworked crossovers and 8 18" sonotube subs using an LLT alignment fed with Crown Power the hope is 120dB down to 10hz.

My current two channel rig is a Pioneer SX3700 receiver, a NAD 546BEE CD player and Yamaha NS 10 speakers. The NS10s are as much a joke as anything, folks that are aware of them know they are in more recording studios than probably any other speaker, if it sounds good on them, it will sound good on anything! You rarely see a mixing board in a studio without a set of these with their white mid-bass driver sitting on the top.

5. Likes Domo liked this post
    Sounds like a great career, Walter! If there's two sure things in life, it's that I'll have a Seiko on the wrist and a Denon integrated amplifier in my hi-fi.

7. Likes Chicolabronse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    I sold my decent 2 channel rig Krell/Totem to finance my ultimate speaker build, a 3 way with Scanspeak drivers with a TL bass cabinet and I ran into some design issues with the cabinets/crossovers and haven't had the time to re-engineer things. Next spring I hope to build out the home theater/2 channel room. The surround sound will be based on (real) Klipsh speakers (Chorus 2 and Heresy) with reworked crossovers and 8 18" sonotube subs using an LLT alignment fed with Crown Power the hope is 120dB down to 10hz.

My current two channel rig is a Pioneer SX3700 receiver, a NAD 546BEE CD player and Yamaha NS 10 speakers. The NS10s are as much a joke as anything, folks that are aware of them know they are in more recording studios than probably any other speaker, if it sounds good on them, it will sound good on anything! You rarely see a mixing board in a studio without a set of these with their white mid-bass driver sitting on the top.
    So how do those NS 10s sound in a home application?

I have a nice pair of powered studio monitors hooked up to my computer rig. One of my hobbies is recording and mixing music, but purely on an amateur level. I have the Neumann monitors, and they are pretty much updated rebranded Klein and Hummel monitors. I like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Nothing too fancy. Akai turntable, Technics CD player, Sony receiver, Canadian made Mirage speakers. Everything's about 25 years old or more except the receiver which is new.
    @Walter I bought a pair of Wharfedale W30D Super Lintons back in 1969 and they still sound great. My daughter has them today.
    Ray, I saw where you had to buy a new receiver because your Yamaha stopped working. That was the impetus for this thread. The Mirage speakers are excellent and the Wharfedale Super Linton's...wow, those go back but you know what they say about the oldies, they are definitely goodies! My DQ-10's that I'm now listening to are about 40 years old and they kick butt on most new speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Pioneer Elite VSX-92THX, with 7.1 surround assisted by a Pioneer Elite 8600S Pre-Amp, and all Klipsch speakers.
    That must be one very dynamic sounding system as the Pioneer Elite has significant dynamic headroom and the Klipsch speakers need about two watts to knock the house down!

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Awesome setups here. I went from this

To this
    I can't see the brand on the speakers of the "new" system but it looks great! Are they Klipsch? They look like Paradigm also but when I blow up the pic, it gets fuzzy.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    My music is in FLAC files on a laptop, and gets played by MediaMonkey. The amp is usually a Naim Nait 5i, but it developed a hum and I haven't had it fixed, so the amp is a Cambridge 840 that I had knocking about. Speakers are PMC GB1.

I used to follow hi-fi developments, but haven't for some years. I doubt if I'll change any of my current equipment unless it breaks.
    Naim is one of my favorite sounding amplifiers, although, the Cambridge is no slouch. PMC speakers are so sweet, mellow and natural sounding too....it must be a very relaxing, musical combination. I am using 24/96 or 24/192 files with Amarra on my Macbook Pro. What is the resolution of the files you are using. If you want full res (16/44k anyway), check out the music streaming service called "Tidal".

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post

Sold the Krell/Totem system to design your own speakers....that's ballsy! If you use anything that powerful with the Kliopsch speakers, and I know what you mean by "real" ones as I had Cornwalls and a pair of K Horns way back when, you are going to need a new home! The power and neutralness of the Krell combined with the warmth of the Totem's must have resulted in a very smooth pleasing sound with great imaging.

Good luck with the speaker project! Regarding the NS-10's, yeah, always sitting right beside the Auratones.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Sounds like a great career, Walter! If there's two sure things in life, it's that I'll have a Seiko on the wrist and a Denon integrated amplifier in my hi-fi.
    Then what's with the "Swiss Watch Enthusiast" thingy? I know it has to be a joke though. Can do much worse than a Denon for sure! What speakers are in the system?

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    So how do those NS 10s sound in a home application?

I have a nice pair of powered studio monitors hooked up to my computer rig. One of my hobbies is recording and mixing music, but purely on an amateur level. I have the Neumann monitors, and they are pretty much updated rebranded Klein and Hummel monitors. I like them a lot.
    As you should...powered speakers always sound good with amps coupled to the drivers directly.

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    I just love the sound of good music on a good quality system. I have an older Kenwood system with an Akai tape deck, and a Dual turntable (long live vinyl!!). The setup sounds terrific.
    That said, I've kinda gone to the dark side and mostly listen to my music on my iPod just for convenience, or sometimes through my desktop PC.

~Sherry.
    Sherry, some of the "vintage" systems sound better than the new ones. Brands like Kenwood used to have tons of reserve power (referred to as dynamic headroom or current capability/amperage, etc.). Is the Akai one of the GX series with the glass heads? What speakers and Dual table model is it?

What a great thread, i used to be heavily into the Hi-Fi scene back in the day and managed to build a pretty good 2/ch system consisting of -

Audiolab 8000 cd & amp
    Rega planer 2 turntable
    B&W DM-603 floorstanders

Due to family and financial constraints i had to sell my beloved system so now i have a more modest (but still awesome sounding) system

TEAC H500i reference cd & amp
    Q acoustics 1030i floorstanders
    QED cabling

Name:  2014-11-30 15.53.33.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  137.6 KB
    Name:  2014-11-30 15.54.09.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  140.1 KB
    Name:  2014-11-30 15.54.28.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  128.8 KB

hope to add the apple airport and beresford TC-7510 dac for streaming lossy files from my laptop.
    Last edited by Chicolabronse; Dec 1, 2014 at 08:48 PM.

Pioneer A-300X amplifier, Castle Durham speakers.

I don't know anything about equipment but the shop took my budget, lined up a few amps and sets of speakers and let me play around until I found the combination that made me happy.

I like a good fat slug of sound and this gives me it.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Naim is one of my favorite sounding amplifiers, although, the Cambridge is no slouch. PMC speakers are so sweet, mellow and natural sounding too....it must be a very relaxing, musical combination. I am using 24/96 or 24/192 files with Amarra on my Macbook Pro. What is the resolution of the files you are using. If you want full res (16/44k anyway), check out the music streaming service called "Tidal".
    The FLAC files are 16/44k. Most of them are rips from CDs (about a thousand) which are stored out of sight in our box room. I'm lucky, in that jazz and classical CDs can be picked up really cheaply on Amazon. I check my wish-list once a month or so, and usually find something I want for less than £2.

The sound I get, using the Naim or Cambridge, is full and natural at lower levels, but when my wife is out I can get the full slam by turning up the wick.

It suits me, and in late middle-age the set-up will probably see me out.

I said the Naim was 'broken', but I'm not 100% sure it is. I only noticed the hum after moving house, so thought it might be a ground-loop issue. I fitted a professional-grade isolator, expecting to fix it, but it didn't - and I've tried different sockets.

My hesitancy is based on something that I half-remember reading about Naim - which was essentially that they had an idiosyncratic approach to earthing. For all I know, they might test the amp and say, 'Nope - running to spec. That'll be £300'.