Likes Likes:  370
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

Hybrid View

Sounds like a great career, Walter! If there's two sure things in life, it's that I'll have a Seiko on the wrist and a Denon integrated amplifier in my hi-fi.

2. Likes Chicolabronse liked this post
    What a great thread, i used to be heavily into the Hi-Fi scene back in the day and managed to build a pretty good 2/ch system consisting of -

Audiolab 8000 cd & amp
    Rega planer 2 turntable
    B&W DM-603 floorstanders

Due to family and financial constraints i had to sell my beloved system so now i have a more modest (but still awesome sounding) system

TEAC H500i reference cd & amp
    Q acoustics 1030i floorstanders
    QED cabling

Name:  2014-11-30 15.53.33.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  137.6 KB
    Name:  2014-11-30 15.54.09.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  140.1 KB
    Name:  2014-11-30 15.54.28.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  128.8 KB

hope to add the apple airport and beresford TC-7510 dac for streaming lossy files from my laptop.
    Last edited by Chicolabronse; Dec 1, 2014 at 08:48 PM.

Wrong thread!!
    Last edited by Chicolabronse; Dec 1, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Pioneer A-300X amplifier, Castle Durham speakers.

I don't know anything about equipment but the shop took my budget, lined up a few amps and sets of speakers and let me play around until I found the combination that made me happy.

I like a good fat slug of sound and this gives me it.

Loving this thread!!

The best studio monitors I ever owned were Richard Allen RA8's but I sold my studio set up long ago and, due to recent difficulties, have yet to rebuild the home system I really want.
    One day it will all come together again...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

I've already repaired the power supply in that SA amp once. With a linear power supply, a shorted diode in the rectifier does bad things. (We used to call them rectum-fryers, but that isn't so decorous these days). The filter caps are going again. I have a 250-watt Samson PA amp that I will probably press into service while pondering the SA. It's not as clean at rated power, but that rated power would damage the structure on my house, so I doubt I will notice. Lack of headroom has caused more bad sound than a little extra harmonic distortion.

Rick "who used to be a country-band roadie back in the day" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

9. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    I've already repaired the power supply in that SA amp once. With a linear power supply, a shorted diode in the rectifier does bad things. (We used to call them rectum-fryers, but that isn't so decorous these days). The filter caps are going again. I have a 250-watt Samson PA amp that I will probably press into service while pondering the SA. It's not as clean at rated power, but that rated power would damage the structure on my house, so I doubt I will notice. Lack of headroom has caused more bad sound than a little extra harmonic distortion.

Rick "who used to be a country-band roadie back in the day" Denney
    The difference between a PA amp and a consumer oriented one is usually a matter of TIM or transient intermodulation distortion. TIM is much more noticeable at any volume than THD and translates into harsh, grating sound. I would not recommend it for a home based system. Negative feedback is the culprit.

If you want to get the SA filter storage caps redone, I'd do it again, or, let me find you the deal of a lifetime on a replacement. I know lots of good dealers with pre loved gear that are sonic and financial bargains.

I have an old set of Yamahas and use the integrated amp and CD-player, tuner and deck have been in the attic for years. Speakers are Magnepan MGSE, really like their sound and looks in not too bad either. When getting into serious listening I use my Stax headsets, found them quite cheaply from Yodobashi while on a trip in Japan.

I still have all my vinyls and a Rega Planar 3 for them, but too lazy to go into that very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Speakers are Magnepan MGSE, really like their sound and looks in not too bad either.
    I like the sound of Maggies! If any 'Mericans are confused the MGSE is the export version of the MMG. There is a audio urban legend that the export Maggies have a different sound. Change a letter or two in a name and the golden ears WILL hear a difference!