Likes Likes:  89
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things worth paying Extra for

Things worth paying Extra for

Here is something that resulted from a chat with the wife:

Nobody likes to spend more for something if they can get it for less, right?
    But some things have to be the best they can be, and if paying a little extra means getting the best, than you just have to.
    What are they for you?

For me, it is strictly in the order of amount / intimacy of contact with my body. So...
    1. Food.
    2. Bedding - I spend 1/3 of my life rubbing my skin on them.
    3. Towels, underwear, sox, etc.
    4. Shoes
    5. Clothes (shirts. pants)
    6. Tissues and TP
    7. Furniture - chairs, especially.

Etc.

I realized, watches rank pretty low in the scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Here is something that resulted from a chat with the wife:

Nobody likes to spend more for something if they can get it for less, right?
    But some things have to be the best they can be, and if paying a little extra means getting the best, than you just have to.
    What are they for you?

For me, it is strictly in the order of amount / intimacy of contact with my body. So...
    1. Food.
    2. Bedding - I spend 1/3 of my life rubbing my skin on them.
    3. Towels, underwear, sox, etc.
    4. Shoes
    5. Clothes (shirts. pants)
    6. Tissues and TP
    7. Furniture - chairs, especially.

Etc.

I realized, watches rank pretty low in the scheme of things.
    I agree with most, if not all of your categories that I would pay extra for...and have.

I would add home entertainment electronics for my HiFi or Home Theater systems as well because I appreciate the emotional conveyance and experiences that music and movies bring to my life. It calms me when frantic and gets me dancing when down.

I'd agree with the above, and add wine/beer/spirits. Huge difference in taste (and the next morning effects) between the run-of-the-mill plonk, and good-quality adult beverages.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

I should have included tools.
    No, not "tool"watches,; real tools.
    And that would include all and any personal transportation machines too - for safety.

First thing that jumped into my mind upon reading the question - my health . . .

Always worth paying for extra ice cream on your pudding at a restaurant

The 2 things I would have added are booze and tools: I'm heavily invested in both. Cheap tools make cheap products. I wouldn't dare rebuild a motor with sub standard tools, it's asking for trouble. I love Princess Auto, but for very specific reasons, and main-use tools is not one of them.

And, cheap scotch is just a silly notion.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

I did have something to post here but it's not really PG-13...

9. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    I recently furnished my home and decided to go big on the sofa and the bed and tiny on everything else. One of the few excellent decisions I've ever made.

The bed is so good that I forgive it for being the reason I haven't got a Nomos.

Bed - another hugely important thing.
    In a moment of utter rationality, I would have to say, watches beyond a certain price point (and number) really have no place in my life.
    So many other things require money for much better reasons.

More to add:
    1. Hardback editions for books over 1.3 inch in thickness. I hate broken spines.
    2. Glass frames + best lenses possible.
    3. Kitchen counter and bathroom "appliances" - toilet, sink, tub, faucets, etc. But I don't have them yet. :-(

12. Likes vinylgreek liked this post