Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Solar Chronograph SSC019 First Impressions

Seiko Solar Chronograph SSC019 First Impressions

I just realised there isn't a Seiko sub-forum, so will leave this here...

Just arrived from Creation Watches, £140 including DHL delivery, and it was delivered on a Saturday too (never expected that!) so it took just 3 days to get to me.

It's a solar powered, quartz regulated chronograph with running (ticking) seconds at 9, elapsed minutes at 6 and a 24 hour totaliser at 3. The chronograph sweep hand, when engaged, ticks 5 times per second. Reset is a standard quartz slow-glide. It also has a date at 4.30.

A full solar charge will keep this baby running for 6 months, and it indicates low charge by ticking every two seconds so you know if to take it out in the daylight. Hands, pearl pip and indices are all lumed with Seiko's usually superb formula.

The watch comes with a bracelet which has raised, polished centre links. Although an unusual choice for what is ostensibly a tool diver, it does look good. It has a horrible pin and collar system for the links (what is wrong with screws?) although not as bad as the Monster as the collars are held within the centre links so don't pop out when you attempt to reassemble the bracelet.

Timekeeping is perfect, as you would expect from a quartz regulated movement, chronograph works great, timing down to 1/5th a second. The bezel is really nice and clicks smoothly but positively. The whole watch screams quality, and it is heavy and solid feeling with screw down pushers and crown and a divers extension for full 200m water resistance.

I would recommend this watch to anyone wanting a good looking, reliable watch that will keep on going no matter what you throw at it, and for the price it is a steal.

Proud veteran of the Military Watches Collection thread. 18th February 2014-22nd November 2014. Gone but never forgotten.

My watch blog - Wristwatch Review UK | Seagull1963.co.uk

Outstanding watch ,great pics and write up, thanks for posting! I have an SSC017 on the way, got a smokin' deal the day before our US Thanksgiving. Was really torn between that one and this, the Pepsi Bezel is very attractive.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Nice review Mike! Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9505

Seiko Solar Chronograph SSC019 First Impressions

Thanks for posting, Mike, it is indeed a steal! Would love to see a lumeshot!

There is no Seiko subforum but there is a Japanese Watches subforum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by epezikpajoow; Nov 30, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
    "Don't count the days but make the days count"

Quote Originally Posted by epezikpajoow View Post

I suck at lume shots as I only have an iPhone, my digital camera having been moved on as Noah wanted it back.
    Proud veteran of the Military Watches Collection thread. 18th February 2014-22nd November 2014. Gone but never forgotten.

6. Likes epezikpajoow liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by epezikpajoow View Post

I had noted that the popular mid-range Swiss watch brands each have individual subforums and then all the Japanese watches (and German) are just thrown in together. Typical swiss-o-phile stuff in the watch world but poor form IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmondmike View Post
    I just realised there isn't a Seiko sub-forum, so will leave this here...
    I would recommend this watch to anyone wanting a good looking, reliable watch that will keep on going no matter what you throw at it, and for the price it is a steal.
    Great watch :-)

I have the black dialled version and have been impressed with it. The only issue is operating the collars on the chrono pushers can be fiddly and they need to be rinsed and operated after swimming or they cease up

Loving mine! It's my almost everyday wear.

Name:  SSC3.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  69.9 KB

Lume...

11. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I think these are great watches. Somewhat under rated, but gaining recognition. I prefer mine to my old Monsters, which is high praise. The bezel is a little too easy to turn, but that's about the only complaint. Plenty of heft for a quartz piece too, and they come with drilled lugs! Hurrah! They are part of Seiko's Prospex range, which I hadn't realised.

The markers are worth mentioning, as they have a lovely creamy/pearl effect going on. The face is also very 3D.

Superb value for money.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OrangeSport; Dec 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical