Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand winding a Miyota 9015

OK. My thoughts are in line with others'.

I think it winds great by hand. Feels solid. I don't see any problem with it, but unless you ask for feedback, you always have that uneasy feeling. At least I do anyway.

Thanks for the comments. I feel better about enjoying the watch now.

There was a recent thread "over there" which had an excellent, succinct summary from one of the respected watchmakers (Archer) on this issue. Basically he said that the ETA 2824 series movements (including the 2836) can develop issues if hand wound on a daily basis; however occasional hand winding should not cause any harm. That's the way I do it--I let it run down, then if I'm going to wear it a week later I hand wind until it starts running and strap it on. Same for the ETA 2824 clones made by Selitta.

As for others, I follow the watchmaker's instructions as per the manual. Pretty much all of the brands I own say you should hand wind either until the watch is running again (JLC) or even say to just give it 40-50 winds, which I would assume would fully wind it (Zenith, Breguet).

In the same thread, Archer also debunked the myth that for modern watches, there was any need to run them once in a while vs. just letting them sit until used again. His view is it doesn't harm the watch at all.

All FWIW, I'm certainly no expert, just paraphrasing someone who is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Seriously, Der Amf liked this post
    *wonders if Archer knows of our existence* presumably his email address is online somewhere. What's the name of his business?

5. Likes Lexvil liked this post
    We need the Doctor too
    http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    We need the Doctor too
    http://www.ranfft.de/uhr/
    I have a fantasy in which the whole f11 team shifts over here en masse. And we make a fuss over them and give them cake.