Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Pelagos vs Seiko SBDB009 SD Tuna

In general I would choose the Pelagos BUT this is a question of how each fits into ones collection. I am picking the Pelagos based on having one watch, the Tuna might fit better in a rotation of other watches, since it is more of an occasion watch.

2. Likes Rob liked this post
    Pelagos for me, that could be my daily watch. I have handled it and to me it was amazing. Both tool and dress and the execution of everything was top notch.

In the end I went the other way: bought a Tudor Black Bay Blue, traded it for a Seamaster Ceramic and finally ended up with the MM300........I'm a happy man!

Eric
    "Don't count the days but make the days count"

That's interesting, Eric. BB -> SMP -> MM300.

I'm curious if the pleasure of knowing you had less money tied up in it was a factor.

thats a really quick change of events, i've not long read your Black bay receipt thread.

Curious as to what you didn't like about the BB and the SMPc. The MM300 is a great piece too.

Tudor Pelagos vs Seiko SBDB009 SD Tuna

The BB was traded 1:1 with the SMP c which was a good deal for me. But I found both watches to be too dressy for my taste, both however are of excellent quality, really well made. Then I got an offer I just couldn't refuse: a MM300 + a lot of cash and once I held the MM300 in my hands, I knew: I am a toolwatch boy.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Don't count the days but make the days count"

7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Of the two, I would choose the Pelagos simply because it's far more versatile than the Tuna.

Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    Of the two, I would choose the Pelagos simply because it's far more versatile than the Tuna.
    Right. I agree 100%.

The reason I'm debating this issue is because of the yen issue. Suddenly the tuna is well below $3K. It's about $1K cheaper than the Pelagos now, even with a great deal on the Pelagos.

Quote Originally Posted by epezikpajoow View Post
    The BB was traded 1:1 with the SMP c which was a good deal for me. But I found both watches to be too dressy for my taste, both however are of excellent quality, really well made. Then I got an offer I just couldn't refuse: a MM300 + a lot of cash and once I held the MM300 in my hands, I knew: I am a toolwatch boy.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. I hear the argument, "the MM300 just appeals to me more" all the time. It IS a great watch.

So after longing for a SD Tuna for years, and then the long wait from when it was announced, it was such a disappointment that I sent it back literally 5 minutes after getting it. I've had every Tuna model and lacking the traditional Tuna hands and the normal SD exquisite capped hands just killed it. Never fear Seiko has a vastly superior Ti watch to the Pelagos. I'll admit some picture have draw me to Tudor AD on several occasions, but when holding it in my hand it is just too drab and gray. The Marine Master 600 SD GMT does it all and has so many high end touches. Try getting a Pelagos to run at 2 seconds a half year like the MM 600 has done for me since 2008. Mosts test have the Pelagos in the 15sec/day range and slightly better on the wrist. Did I mention the true GMT function and the easy remove bezel mech (that let's you tune the feel). One of my favorite features is the 72 hour power reserve that let's you take it off Friday night and put it back on on Monday without ever touching the crown. It will spoil you. All this comes in almost $1K less than the Tudor. Sorry to be that guy that strays from the thread choices, but it just had to be done.

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

12. Likes Rob, Der Amf, Powboyz, -JP liked this post
    I can't do the MM600 SD because of the movement. I had the movement in my SBDB005 Landmaster and found it to be a PITA if you rotate a lot.

If I only wore one watch, I'd probably get the Landmaster again. Incredible watch.