Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many watches rarely/never receive wear?

Savagely Average

How many watches rarely/never receive wear?

How any do you own that either never get worn or VERY rarely see wrist time?

Other than "drawer watches"* all of them are in rotation except my beater but it still gets fairly regular wear, just usually for a few hours at a time.

* drawer watches is my term for those watches that reside in some dark corner of a drawer, in my case mainly quartz beaters with dead batteries that I just can't bear to throw away

I have an ugly yellow gold Rolex Oyster Perpetual that I want to get rid of, and this is the only watch that I never wear. I have a quartz Victorinox that hasn't been worn for a few years because I still haven't replaced the battery. I have a couple others that are kept largely for sentimental reasons and are, therefore, rarely worn. I have 12-15 watches that are worn in a rotation that makes no sense whatsoever; there is literally no pattern to it. The Orient Mako normally gets worn at least once a week, The Ironman is worn almost daily.

This is more info than you requested, but I've been drinking.

-hayday

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

I currently have 23 or 24, but only about 6 get any serious wrist time. I do have a few that have never been worn.
    I don't know why I keep them.

Obviously I'm not talking Pateks here.

5. Likes Mediocre, geoffbot, rfortson liked this post
    Believe it or not, virtually all of my collection gets worn at some point during the year, and depending on the activity of the day. Maybe only 10% "rarely" get worn; mostly the vintage LCDs off to the left...
    Name:  SOTC1 copy 2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  79.3 KB

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

None. They've all learned to call loudly when I approach the watch box cause they know if I don't notice (read wear) them, they're gone . . .

8. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    ......This is more info than you requested, but I've been drinking.

-hayday

-hayday
    LOL. I'm on my third of the evening. I think.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

10. Likes hayday liked this post
    I have four. Two are solar powered Citizens, watches I've had for years but that just don't get worn any more because I love the mechanicals too much, and have too many nice choices. The third is a 40 year old Clebar automatic, given to me new when I was a kid, that I keep for sentimental reasons. The fourth is my father's 50 year old Hamilton, an inscribed gift to him, which I don't wear because I'm afraid it's too fragile--one lug broke two years ago, and I had it repaired, but I'm too worried to chance it.

The rest all get worn at least once in a while.

I have two, a Sinn and a Tudor in my working rotation with the Sinn getting the most wear. There are three others, an old Timex, Longines and Bulova that have sentimental value that are in my drawer. I suppose with a service they could be worn but I prefer to keep them tucked away.
    Last edited by Upstate; Dec 2, 2014 at 03:28 AM.

13. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Two: one a present many years ago, which has no value these days anyway; one something recent which has sentimental value - I tired of wearing it, but not of the memories it holds.