Likes Likes:  38
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many watches rarely/never receive wear?

premature curmudgeon ken_sturrock's Avatar
    Unfortunately, yes. I regularly wear about five out of 13 watches. The others I make an effort to keep in the rotation. Back when I regularly wore suits and did more formal stuff - I wore the others more often.

I'm too lazy and sentimental to get rid of the unworn though.
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; Dec 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM.

Old, small, pocket, and/or broken (obviously) stuff just sits and I'm cool with that. It's this 44mm one that perplexes me:

I still like the watch... it's the 44mm I don't enjoy. I'm I big guy and can pull it off:

But I just don't wear it very much.

I should sell it. But it isn't worth very much so I should keep it. But that's silly if I don't wear it. But it was my second mechanical. But I little extra cash for Xmas would be nice. But...

Uh oh... the voices... they're back...

3. Likes shemp, GlennO liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Old, small, pocket, and/or broken (obviously) stuff just sits and I'm cool with that. It's this 44mm one that perplexes me:

I still like the watch... it's the 44mm I don't enjoy. I'm I big guy and can pull it off:

But I just don't wear it very much.

I should sell it. But it isn't worth very much so I should keep it. But that's silly if I don't wear it. But it was my second mechanical. But I little extra cash for Xmas would be nice. But...

Uh oh... the voices... they're back...
    To make the decision easy for you, you can just give it to me

I am circumspect about using this 1970s Geneve, Omega is running low on spare parts for this watch

6. Likes JAGtime, Colin, Mediocre liked this post
    rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar

Need to find a bracelet for it...

8. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    I have an Orient Bambino I don't really wear. Great watch, but I managed to scratch the crystal quite deeply and no amount of Polywatch can get rid of it. The scratch is incredibly distracting. I also have a Seiko SKX001 and the Debaufre Ocean 1 which have been sitting in my drawer unworn for a year or two. I'm not really a fan of Seiko or homages* these days.

*Although I do own a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage, which I feel gets a pass because I'm not going to own a 6200 Sub any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    Other than "drawer watches"* all of them are in rotation except my beater but it still gets fairly regular wear, just usually for a few hours at a time.

* drawer watches is my term for those watches that reside in some dark corner of a drawer, in my case mainly quartz beaters with dead batteries that I just can't bear to throw away
    Yep, this exactly. I have churned my collection recently trying to pare it down, but wound up buying others. However, I now wear pretty much everything at least once a month so I feel like they are all getting the love they deserve. I've taken to occasionally switching watches during the day on weekends or evenings to mix things up.

EDIT - okay, I just remembered my EcoDrives. I have two, one was a wedding present from my wife (with my input) and the other was a first anniversary gift from her. I rarely wear either but I'll keep the wedding watch for sure. I may sell the anniversary watch (she's not sentimental at all and has told me to sell it if I want), but I figure I'll hold on to it for now. I did have a culling of the cheap herd earlier in the fall. Sold lots of cheap watches just to clear them out.
    Last edited by rfortson; Dec 3, 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Savagely Average
    Interesting reading some of the responses. I have gifted some of mine away also

My Gshocks over the past year have been getting neglected. Never have the urge to wear them when all my auto divers are staring at me.

Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskar36 View Post
    My Gshocks over the past year have been getting neglected. Never have the urge to wear them when all my auto divers are staring at me.
    Interesting. My G-Shock (my only one) receives more regular wear than most.....often in 1-3 hour increments, but they are regular lol