Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheap, smart digital watch (not a digital smart watch!)

Looking for a cheap, smart digital watch (not a digital smart watch!)

Recently I've rediscovered digital and am in the market for something on the smarter side (so not a G-Shock or Ironman or anything like that).
    Budget is a firm £75, but if I can get something cheaper so much the better.
    Ideally with a decent set of features (stopwatch, alarm, countdown timer, etc) but I might make an exception for the right watch. I do want it to have a silver rather than black or coloured finish (and ideally a metal rather than a resin case) and accept standard straps.

The obvious contenders are a variety of Casios, e.g

or this Timex

but I'm keen to see if there are any options that I'd be less likely to see on the wrist of a hipster

Things ruled out already:
    Gerlach Kosmonauta (probably too big as well as being over budget)

2. Likes iyonk, Greg liked this post
    I have to many ultra budget digital watch... beside my square screwback g-shock, it obvious that my fav are F-91w (that you already have) and F-105 which have the same module of your pictured casio and nice EL backlight. also got the f108 wich is not bad and the 158.. i someday also wish to aquire the 168 like you pictured

i have 3 timex version like the one in your picture.. unfortunately, the display is not as legible as standard light grey background.. also, if you sweat a lot, you should stay away from the gold and silver one since they are prone to corrode on the back side..

if you like a stainless steel case and dont mind ana-digi (with the benefit of alarm, chime, stopwatch, timer and moonphase -- also the quick glance of analog hands), you could try the casio fishing gear..
    you dont have to use the 'fishing' feature.. it is smalish (38mm) and should be durable (its a casio), 10 years battery, illuminator, WR10BAR

amw700 (come in nylon/leather strap, and also rubber one)

i have one incoming my way on the nylon/leather strap, when a family member visit.
    Last edited by iyonk; Jan 27, 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Also Pulsar PW3003 is also a good cadidate (in black... in non coated stainless is PW3001)
    solid stainless case, good features.. and the best part is 20mm lugs with fat springbars and lug holes. so you could use it with nato strap.

5. Likes is that my watch, Greg liked this post
    Thanks, lyonk. I like that Casio, but maybe a but sporty for what I'm after at the moment and the proprietary lugs make me sad.
    The Pulsar is cool, but a bit blocky.

I know nothing about availability / price of the SBFG001 / SBPG001, but is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

8. Likes OhDark30, iyonk, Greg liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I know nothing about availability / price of the SBFG001 / SBPG001, but is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Yes, but well over budget

seen these

CA-EFA120D-1A

Analog digital combination.
    Thermometer:
    Display range: 14 to 140F (-10 to 60C).
    Display unit: 0.2F (0.1C).
    Thermometer measurement timing: during even numbered minute.
    100 meter water resistant.
    Auto electro-luminescent backlight with afterglow.
    World time:
    30 time zones (50 cities), city code display.
    Daylight saving on/off.
    Daily alarm.
    Hourly time signal.
    Countdown timer:
    Measuring unit: 1 second.
    Countdown range: 1 minute to 100 hours.
    Auto repeat function.
    Dual 1/100 second stopwatches:
    Measuring capacity: 99:59'59.99".
    Measuring modes:
    Single stopwatch: lap times, total elapsed time.
    Dual stopwatch: 2 independent lap time measurements,
    lap time differential.
    Measuring unit: 1/100 second (first 60 minutes), 1 second
    (after 60 minutes).
    Memory capacity: 50 records (lap times and total elapsed time).
    Button tone operation on/off.
    Auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099).
    12 / 24 hour formats.
    Accuracy +/- 30 seconds per month.
    Approx. battery life: 2 years on SR927W x 2.

Last edited by is that my watch; Jan 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

11. Likes iyonk, Greg liked this post
    Cheers ismy, that's cool but not really what I'm after (especially as I find negative displays hard to read)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    It's overbudget, but I've just found this rather tidy looking Casio ana-digi...

15. Likes iyonk, Greg liked this post
    do love the mix of the too designs will have another look got one in mind but not sure on it one sec
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1