Likes Likes:  178
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Things a person should do at least once in his life

Things a person should do at least once in his life

What are the things that are so important that a full life is not complete without doing them?

I'll start with the basic: raise a child.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

3. Likes MarkO, Rusty liked this post
    I'm still working on the "change a diaper" part.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein
    I don't know how to butcher a Hog, conn a ship or write a sonnet.Not so sure about dying gallantly either....

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's necessary to raise a child to live a complete life, though I imagine it's one of the most rewarding aspects of many lives. But some people aren't able to have children. I would change it to: make a difference in the life of a child.

To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jimmy Valvano (March 10, 1946 – April 28, 1993)

Jeannie

7. Likes jsw41, Ryan, popoki nui, jraul7, MHe225, Dienekes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to raise a child to live a complete life, though I imagine it's one of the most rewarding aspects of many lives. But some people aren't able to have children. I would change it to: make a difference in the life of a child.
    To some people not being able to raise a child means an unfulfilled life, to others children are not part of life at all and they have other things just as important or more important to them. To me it's essential.

Jump out of an airplane while writing a sonnet and planning an invasion.

Text message contribution from my dad: get a quarter of the way into raising a child and then sod off.

11. Likes Ryan, Chronopolitano, whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Text message contribution from my dad: get a quarter of the way into raising a child and then sod off.
    You asked your dad?

13. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    To some people not being able to raise a child means an unfulfilled life, to others children are not part of life at all and they have other things just as important or more important to them. To me it's essential.
    I can understand that.

I thought of another thing: leave a legacy (and it doesn't have to be money).

Jeannie

15. Likes bolaberlim liked this post