Likes Likes:  51
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hank's rules for vintage Rados

One day I will buy a vintage Rado but I don't think it will be this year.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes scottjc liked this post
    This photo very clearly shows the anchor that is cast into the crystal;

P3170210 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

And this is a typical Rado clasp used from 1962 through to around about 1975

P3170200 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

4. Likes scottjc, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

-Until you know better, don't buy a Voyager.
    Let's talk about this one. I googled the collection and love what I am seeing. Why is this such a perilous proposition?

Also - this thread is amazing and super dangerous.
    Life is better parenthetically.

Zenith - Rolex - Frédérique Constant - Nomos - Orient - Burberry

Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
    Let's talk about this one. I googled the collection and love what I am seeing. Why is this such a perilous proposition?

Also - this thread is amazing and super dangerous.

Sadly the vast majority of Voyagers for sale are franken-Rados. There's one or two sellers that seem to have hundreds of cases, and non-authentic display casebacks, and put watches together that they sell for huge sums.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Nice work, Hank.
    I'll add a few comments...
    Regarding "If you can see the movement and it does not have a Rado logo on the rotor do not buy it." There is a notable exception:
    http://www.watchcarefully.com/invent...amaster10.html

I would also add some details about the pre-1973 reference numbers (mostly 5-digit, but some smaller watches for women had 4- or 3-digit references) and the post-1972 models having the format of 123.4567.8.
    And potential buyers should know that other numbers stamped on the case (aside from those beginning with K, probably signifying made in/for Japanese market) are NOT Rado-issued reference numbers or serial numbers (the latter being found only on chronometer movements) and are not useful for estimating the manufacture date.

I agree, never buy a Companion. And be wary that almost all SuperTime and other T-cased Thai models are Frankenrados.

8. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    How could we forget that?
    Also, silver rotating anchor should be in a silver coloured case.
    Good one! Also, silver hands, markers and logo are generally not found in gold or two-tone cases.
    Case in point is the Murano...though it is cased in steel, the 2-tone model's only gold elements are the little bezel ring and the dial appliqués.

Automatics and most electro-mechanicals have rotating anchor.
    Mineral dials almost never do, even if automatic otherwise, fixed anchor (e.g., early quartz) or painted anchor, means NOT automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yes been some interesting thread on rado and some great pics maybe we need a thread where all the links are located on them. there's been some stunning pics from memory
    I certainly do not intend to lure people away from here permanently by this post, but if you're seriously interested in learning about Rado, check here:
    http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...ant-RADO-Links
    It is an attempt by myself and a lot of dedicated Rado collectors to provide a one-stop shop for info on Rado, to facilitate collecting, discussion and to thwart the propogation of mis-information! I am happy to update this page with pertinent information suggested by the rado collector community. I would certainly add a link to IWL if a really useful page/thread is located here--let me know!
    Last edited by watch carefully; Mar 29, 2016 at 05:22 PM.

11. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Moved to RADO forum.

13. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Moved to RADO forum.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Moved to RADO forum.
    Cheers!
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.