Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Ulysse Nardin Freak Lab

Ulysse Nardin Freak Lab

Not sure how long these have been around, but I've only just seen one.

Can someone talk me through which bit of the mechanism is being used as the the minute hand?

Edit: ah no need I've now found the explanation here: http://www.ulysse-nardin.com/en/swis.../FreakLab.html

And more here: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...imited-edition
    Last edited by Der Amf; Feb 11, 2016 at 10:02 AM.

That watch really does defy description. I still don't know whether I love it or hate it. It looks like the Corum Golden Bridge met up with a Blancpain Carousel and this is the result.

It is a clever watch and the fact that Ludwig Oechslin was involved makes me view it with a kinder eye and appreciate the ingenuity that went into it rather than the actual design of the watch. I think I'd find it interesting to see in real life and it is one of those watches that I like to know exists even if it is something I would never consider wearing. Apparently enough people agree considering the Freak line has been around for 15 years now.

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    It has been one of their signature watches for UN for a bit now. Very overpowering, but then again so are alot of their designs.

I have a Maxi-Marine which I like very much, but it's design is based in some grounded realism, unlike the Freak........
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I've seen a Freak (not that specific one) in the flesh. For me they fall into the "I admire the ingenuity and uniqueness but wouldn't pay the price to wear one" category.

This one actually has the other movement hidden that drives the hour hand. The Freak models have traditionally had both movements exposed so this one is a little more subdued. They have a top and bottom bezel that serve as the crown to wind and set each movement. Maybe it has a third movement to drive the date function? Totally agree that while interesting not something I would spend money on to wear. We have a UN Boutique in the Boca Mall and their US headquarters is in Boca Raton also. So I've seen them from time to time. What I have not seen is anyone actually buying a watch there?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/ulysse-n...-watch-review/
    Last edited by Samanator; Mar 1, 2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!