Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Science News

Big Science News

I learned today that we live on planet Earth, which is part of our solar system, which is part of the Milky Way galaxy, which is one of many galaxies in the universe (OK, I already knew this part).

What I didn't know is that our solar system doesn't have a name. They named the galaxy, but not the solar system. This seems like some kind of bureaucratic bungling, the sort of thing you'd expect from government workers.

Two thoughts occur:

1. What happens if we travel outside the solar system and we can't find our way home? How will we tell the aliens which solar system we're looking for (assuming we stop to ask for directions)?

2. Can they name it after me - and if so, can I lease the naming rights?

Everybody else is talking about gravitational waves and black holes and Einstein's theory of relativity and predictions he made 100 years ago being validated. That's all fine and good, but I think this other news should not be overlooked.

2. Likes Der Amf, hayday, geoffbot, Nokie liked this post
    haha I never even thought about the fact that our Solar system doesn't have a name. That's quite funny.

maybe you should submit your suggestion to NASA or something? Who even has the authority to name celestial things?
    Kody

4. Likes shemp liked this post
    We might not have given ourselves a name, but you can be sure that everyone else out there will have thought of a name for us. And none of them are going to be very nice.

6. Likes theague, shemp liked this post
    I think we need Sherry for this, although we've named our star the Sun..might be all we need for directions?

8. Likes shemp, popoki nui liked this post
    what if they call the Sun something else?
    Kody

10. Likes shemp liked this post
    Peter

12. Likes shemp, theague liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I think on other planets they call our region "the place we must isolate with gravity waves so that vermin on Planet 3 doesn't get out."

Actually, my understanding is that the official catalog name for our star is "Sol" thus making our particular planetary system the "Solar system" as in the system that belongs to the star Sol. I know, a bit anticlimactic.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes shemp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I think on other planets they call our region "the place we must isolate with gravity waves so that vermin on Planet 3 doesn't get out."

Actually, my understanding is that the official catalog name for our star is "Sol" thus making our particular planetary system the "Solar system" as in the system that belongs to the star Sol. I know, a bit anticlimactic.
    So I'm learning. When I looked it up on the internet today, there didn't seem to be this answer. Clearly, it's a conspiracy to hoodwink the public.

Thanks for the clarification!

16. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shemp View Post
    So I'm learning. When I looked it up on the internet today, there didn't seem to be this answer. Clearly, it's a conspiracy to hoodwink the public.

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers. Just don't ask me about Hollow Earth. I am not allowed to divulge my sources.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

18. Likes shemp liked this post
    Question answered - thread delivers!

Shame really, seemed like a fun question to ponder. I was looking at anagrams of smvemsjunp but it's looking pretty Indian, which I don't speak.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

20. Likes shemp liked this post