Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Getting Enough Sleep?

Are You Getting Enough Sleep?

There seems to be a consensus that adults require 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night. I'm averaging 6 hours or less these days but hope to improve that, especially due to studies indicating that sleep loss can increase risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and stress. Are you getting enough sleep? If not, how does it affect your day, your ability to function? If you are, how do you do it? Were you born with the ability to just nod off? How do you relax and get some rest?

Blog Entries
    No. I'm good usually on 6, functional on 5, but I've been getting a bit less than that lately. Oh well, 1L year can't last forever.

I normally get about 7.5 a night but will make do with significantly less if necessary. I do have a difficult time sleeping past 6AM even if I've gone to bed later than usual.

I probably average about 6. I wish i could sleep longer.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

I've got to be beat to hell to hit the hay before about 11pm, usually later, and I'm up at or before 6am. I also can't just lay around in bed, say on weekends or days when I don't have to be anywhere. If I'm awake, I'm up. I'd rather go sit in my chair and read then lay in bed doing nowt, I'm either sleeping or up.

I can't nap either, often to my chagrin. If I wink for less than about 3 hours, I just end up more tired and grumpy than when I started. I'm a little jealous of those that can power up on the odd catnap.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

6. Likes Rocat liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Something not to say to yourself before going to sleep:

"Oh, let me just log on to IWL for a minute before turning in."

An hour later you are arguing straps and movements, contemplating the meaning of life, and asking a poster questions about how his/her brisket sandwich was made…unbelievable!

8. Likes Ryan, Seriously liked this post
    Savagely Average
    I have averaged less than the optimal amount of sleep for probably 5 years now

7.5 hours pretty much like clockwork, midnight is bedtime usually , but the occasional foray into 1 or 2am is ok as long as the day after is a play day so I can catch it back up.

I can just nod off too for a 20 minute catch up, especially after work, sometimes AT work !

I work a rotational 6 week shift pattern, my sleep is screwed up, some days its only 4hrs.

That and shift workers are estimated to live 8-10yrs less due to sleep issues, great!!

Shaken, not stirred... Scamp007's Avatar
    I get nowhere near enough sleep but after suffering from insomnia for the best part of fifteen years, I think my body has just adjusted. If I get four solid hours that's not a bad night for me, they are never continuous though, I get maybe an hour or so at a time.

I'm a manager in the Construction industry and the pressure is fairly well up there on the scale, my problem is that I find it impossible to switch off, especially when I go to bed.

Sometimes are better than others of course and the pressure isn't constant 365 days a year but I am incredibly envious of those who can hit the hay and get straight to sleep, must be wonderful.

Sean,
    Keeping the British end up..