Good morning, IWL.

Another day and another quartz

Attachment 42646

Attachment 42647

Have a great day.
    Wow, that's an awesome combo and photo.

2. Likes CFR, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    Good day to you. So, here's the story on my Oris.

My local watchmaker kept it on a timer for several days, and he said my watch is keeping good time. He suggested I wind it everyday. I know several of you, including C, have said this is unnecessary. However, maybe since I am retired, I am less active than before! The salesperson at my local AD called the Oris rep, and he said it was absolutely fine to wind the watch each day. So maybe I will do some experiments with winding and see how that goes. I am glad to have the watch back, and I don't want to return it for service for many years.
    Love the crown on that watch

Instead of winding , maybe just think about that wrist when you become aware you're 'less active' from time to time and give the wrist a little shake, this may just accumulate more charge into the spring than it's currently getting without a handwind help, and just avoid you helping it along with a handwind.

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Wow, that's an awesome combo and photo.
    Thanks a lot, Greg.

6. Likes Greg liked this post
    This new Iyonk strap today.

At work I got numerous compliments on the new strap.

Of course I brag about it being hand made by my friend in Indonesia.

Iyonk my friend, you are world famous even among the non-WIS crowd.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Good day to you. So, here's the story on my Oris.

My local watchmaker kept it on a timer for several days, and he said my watch is keeping good time. He suggested I wind it everyday. I know several of you, including C, have said this is unnecessary. However, maybe since I am retired, I am less active than before! The salesperson at my local AD called the Oris rep, and he said it was absolutely fine to wind the watch each day. So maybe I will do some experiments with winding and see how that goes. I am glad to have the watch back, and I don't want to return it for service for many years.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    to be honest sounds right to me I don't get on well with autos myself remember selling one as faulty because it stop and started and the person who bought it has never had a problem with it so I got a couple in my collection still but I always wind them but ... so maybe it not so much the active and more the motion used to wind the watch up by the fly wheel but it's a beauty so a bit of a wind in the morning is a small price to pay to wear it my friend
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

9. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    I've become more partial to hand-wind movements since retirement. Seiko 7s26's used to stop on me before retirement but now they'll all do it, even if infrequently. My Rolex is least likely to do it, ETA 2824s are most likely to do it.

I smoke and drink with my left hand for the health of my watches.

11. Likes Henry Krinkle, mlcor, iyonk, JAGtime liked this post
    Sherry was right! It is Tiki Tuesday! Heading out for an event at the Uni. Recycled photo

P1250173 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Ideally, a watch should have a perfect isochronism: different states of winding should not have any influence on the rate of the mechanism. But this is not an ideal world: we can't find a watch with a perfect mainspring, perfect escape,..., perfect isochronism.

Keeping the watch at a defined/optimum point on it's winding curve would – in principle – result in a more stable (predictable) rate (if all other parameters are kept unchanged). What your watchmaker suggests is that your wearing pattern does not allow the movement to wind the mechanism to a point where some accuracy is expected. Does it make sense? Yes it does.

But I'm not going to lie: I'm not comfortable with the idea of hand winding an automatic movement every day.

Most automatics don't accept this practice without showing premature wear and tear. However, I don't know this particular movement, I'm not an expert and if your watchmaker finds it suitable, maybe you should give it a try, at least, for a few weeks and see what happens.

Good luck and please, keep us informed.

Anyway, glad to see your Oris back, Jane.

Edit: Well, I just asked my watchmaker his opinion on this matter. I didn't mention the movement, so, his answer was, let's say, generic. He said that as long as the movement is well serviced and lubricated, hand winding the mechanism shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you feel the rotor spin or undue resistance in the crown while winding, you should stop, because it usually means lack of lubrication or something wrong with the reversing wheels (btw, these parts are not expensive to replace, or so it seems).

Meanwhile, I found a post by Mr Al (Archer) somewhere and basically the same opinion.

Guess your watch is safe, after all.
    C, thank you so much for this information and your thoughts on this matter. And thank you for taking the time to confer with your watchmaker. It is very much appreciated! I will try this experiment for a few weeks and see what happens. I will definitely report back my findings to this great community.

14. Likes CFR, gnuyork, birdynamnam liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Love the crown on that watch

Instead of winding , maybe just think about that wrist when you become aware you're 'less active' from time to time and give the wrist a little shake, this may just accumulate more charge into the spring than it's currently getting without a handwind help, and just avoid you helping it along with a handwind.
    Thanks very much, Seriously, for your advice and thoughts on this!

C, thank you so much for this information and your thoughts on this matter. And thank you for taking the time to confer with your watchmaker.
    You're most welcome, Jane.

17. Likes JAGtime liked this post