Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Clock Tower

Hybrid View

Building a Clock Tower

Hi guys!

So I have been granted permission to install a clock tower on a roundabout here in Uganda and I was wondering if you guys had some ideas or inspiration for me!

Here are a few key points of what has already been decided;

It's going to be 4 sided
    The mechanism is a basic quartz unit that lights up at night
    I can design the face to be anything I want
    The structure can be anything I want
    It's on the main road from Kenya to Uganda so there'll be a lot of traffic

I'm thinking more along these lines as opposed to a classic one;

It'll be quite a fun project so I'd be interested to hear you thoughts or any inspirational ideas.

Thanks guys!

2. Likes geoffbot, SteamJ liked this post
    Will it be a commercial one, like with advertising, or more an object of art?

Here's some inspiration

That's really cool. Will the 4 side images be static?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

How about a kind of stain glass effect for each dial depicting famous sites and things about Uganda . ie: Lake Victoria , The Kabaka Tombs , Mountain Gorilla's , The hot springs at Bundibugyo etc . Or perhaps a different style of face on each one ie: Arabic , Famous animals or products of Uganda , or flieger. . DW.

It's going to be a commercial structure and yes all 4 sides will be static.
    I was thinking of putting artwork by local artists on all 4 sides simply with a company logo at the top.

As for the clock face I was thinking of something modern and simple such as;

Although I think something like this would be more in keeping with the theme;

The top dial is confusing.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    here in Uganda
    Where on earth are you !!

Just saying

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    If you've a large image beneath each dial, then plain markers and hands over a dial design that echoes the colours and tone of the image beneath would tie it altogether

I'd first ask what the particular area or intersection is like. Is it more modern or rural Africa? I think what you put there should naturally fit into the environment. I wouldn't put a futuristic steel and glass structure in the middle of the Louisiana Bayou for example. A structure should complement the scenery it's in rather than stand out like a sore thumb. Can we get a picture of the roundabout and the surrounding scenery to get an idea of where it will be?

Regardless very cool project and I'd love to see the progress and finished product.

Nearly finished writing this reply before my computer crashed! fml

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    The top dial is confusing.
    Yes you are right and I only realized once you commented on it!haha
    I like the second one a lot so I'll probably go with that, must be the influence of my Orion!

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I added myself!
    But I'm the only person from Africa. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you've a large image beneath each dial, then plain markers and hands over a dial design that echoes the colours and tone of the image beneath would tie it altogether
    That could work well but the images will probably change every 3-6 months which would be a bit odd then.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamJ View Post
    I'd first ask what the particular area or intersection is like. Is it more modern or rural Africa? I think what you put there should naturally fit into the environment. I wouldn't put a futuristic steel and glass structure in the middle of the Louisiana Bayou for example. A structure should complement the scenery it's in rather than stand out like a sore thumb. Can we get a picture of the roundabout and the surrounding scenery to get an idea of where it will be?

Regardless very cool project and I'd love to see the progress and finished product.
    It's in a small trading town called Iganga.
    This roundabout is the turn off for our factory from the main road so it makes sense to put it there.
    The only decent pic I could find is this one;

The roundabout is where that yellow billboard is at the back of the photo.

13. Likes SteamJ liked this post