Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Reunited and it feels so good.

Reunited and it feels so good.

I just can't throttle my excitement much longer and have to share my news and offer up a question.

But first, some background:

In 2013 I made my second 'big' acquisition. With a few years of saving, I had afforded myself the luxury of nabbing a Zenith el Primero 1969 in 38mm. What. A. Watch. The 36'000 vph was entrancing, the Tri-color dial mesmerizing and the size perfect. But as time wore on, I found myself romanticizing a different function: the moonphase. I did something that I have regretted ever since: I sold the Zenith. In the months that followed I bought and sold a variety of watches, looking for the one to fill a Zenith-sized void in my watchbox. The short of this part of the narrative is that I did indeed find that in the FC Slimline Moon (38mm).

Now, fast forward to 2016. I have recently started a new job and am doing quite well. All of the finances are in order and even oppressive student loans are evaporating. I decide now is a good time to begin my search to reunite with my long lost love, the 36'000 Tri-color. After returning to the original source of purchase, I see that they no longer stock it. Ok, fine, but a moderately extensive google search presents me with a fear: as of yesterday I have found only one U.S. online retailer that offers the 36'000 Tri-color in 38mm at a non-inflated price. Worried that the supply may be drying up, I jump on it and figure, hey, what is an extra $35 for next day air. I input my details, and hit submit. Euphoria overwhelms me and I immediately start looking for a suitable replacement strap (small wrists cause watch buying to be a two-step process for me).

Then I get the worrying email. The lovely folks from the online dealer (Jomashop) inform me that, while the watch is not in their warehouse, they will have it within the week and will next-day it at that point. I am worried. I have spoken to two different customer reps, one guaranteeing that the watch will be available, and one saying they he "can only be 95% sure" that the watch will indeed be available.

At this point my story of rekindled love has become one of concern. Has anyone else had a similar situation happen? Should I be worried that the NOS 36'000 Tri-color's in 38mm are extinct? I'm just worrying for nothing... right? Right?!?
    Life is better parenthetically.

Zenith - Rolex - Frédérique Constant - Nomos - Orient - Burberry

I can't answer your question, but now I'm worrying with you...

Are the prices for the inflated ones truly inflated, or just non-deflated?

That's a good question. The MSRP from Zenith is something like 8k USD. The Jomashop price was under 5k USD (which is what I paid for it in 2013 from Ashford - who no longer stocks it). The next cheapest one I can find is ~6.4k USD.

So I am really hoping that this is indeed still 'in stock.' Having to jump the price by almost 2k USD would be a real bummer.
    Life is better parenthetically.

Zenith - Rolex - Frédérique Constant - Nomos - Orient - Burberry

Blog Entries
    As they are not an authorized dealer (at least per the Zenith map), I can see why the pricing is so attractive. My guess, and it is just that, is they wait for someone to order it and then they go find it. If they can't find one, or at least can't get it for the price they are asking, the watch is not in the warehouse...

Please keep us posted!

Dan

Blog Entries
    Any progress movet22?

Dan