Likes Likes:  4,393
Page 475 of 657 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485525575 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,750 of 6564

Thread: The cars and bikes thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I know. It’s a damn shame. But I assume that I’ll be able to find enough used manual cars to keep me going until they make driving illegal.

If the quantity of 3 pedal cars on Bring A Trailer is any indication, there's no danger of running out of used examples.

2. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I thought the Golf/GTI was on the MQB platform and the Jetta is a North American Passat chassis that’s been cut down to size? Is that no longer the case?

Anyway, I ****ing loved my MkV Jetta Wolfsburg (same car as the GLI minus the cosmetics); the 2.0T and 6 speed were a pleasure to use everyday. I still miss that car. Hope you love yours as much as I loved mine.
    As of 2019, the Jetta and Golf share the MQB platform. As you likely know, the base Jetta of that same year utilized a torsion beam rear suspension and the GLI has an independent multilink - a significantly better ride.

Just a couple of days in and liking it very much. Very solid, takes the twisties well, has decent acceleration and overall an easy car to drive. I have my ECU/TCU and turbo inlet mods set up for July 8th which will get me to the first step, and then I will install the CAI, CBE, coils, plugs and down pipe a month or so afterward so I can get a feel for what each step is doing.

4. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    As of 2019, the Jetta and Golf share the MQB platform. As you likely know, the base Jetta of that same year utilized a torsion beam rear suspension and the GLI has an independent multilink - a significantly better ride.

Just a couple of days in and liking it very much. Very solid, takes the twisties well, has decent acceleration and overall an easy car to drive. I have my ECU/TCU and turbo inlet mods set up for July 8th which will get me to the first step, and then I will install the CAI, CBE, coils, plugs and down pipe a month or so afterward so I can get a feel for what each step is doing.
    Are you going with APR/IE/Utronic for the tune? I wanted to go IE or Utronic as they have the cables where you can change the fuel map on your own, but I didn't trust myself to not hose up the initial install and no dealers around me except for APR.

Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    Are you going with APR/IE/Utronic for the tune? I wanted to go IE or Utronic as they have the cables where you can change the fuel map on your own, but I didn't trust myself to not hose up the initial install and no dealers around me except for APR.
    After a lot of online investigation and several phone calls to tuners, friends and mechanics I know, I'm going APR.

IE and Unitronic are certainly good options, but if I was going to go that route, I'd probably go with Cobb. I just want a "set it and forget it" type of tune, I don't want to play with it.

Edit: I will have it set for 93 octane fuel though.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jun 16, 2021 at 09:43 PM.

After a lot of online investigation and several phone calls to tuners, friends and mechanics I know, I'm going APR.

IE and Unitronic are certainly good options, but if I was going to go that route, I'd probably go with Cobb. I just want a "set it and forget it" type of tune, I don't want to play with it.

Edit: I will have it set for 93 octane fuel though.
    So far I have had the APR for ~ 3 months and it's great. Substantial increase in power, but still very smooth. Also on the 93 map. I had to put in 91 octane once or twice back when we had the "fuel Shortage", but no issues or detonation. I wouldn't do that regularly though.

8. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    So far I have had the APR for ~ 3 months and it's great. Substantial increase in power, but still very smooth. Also on the 93 map. I had to put in 91 octane once or twice back when we had the "fuel Shortage", but no issues or detonation. I wouldn't do that regularly though.
    Good to know, thanks! Is yours a manual or auto, and if the latter, did you do the TCU as well?

Good to know, thanks! Is yours a manual or auto, and if the latter, did you do the TCU as well?
    Auto. No, I wanted to wait and see how it performed before going that route. Everything I've researched for the A4 was about 50/50 for vs against doing the TCU as well. I haven't come across anything that would lean me towards getting it done.

11. Likes wschofield3 liked this post

Wrong thread?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Not sure about exotics, either, at least not new ones. Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, no manuals left. Lotus is your best bet right now, along with Porsche (which isn’t exotic, of course). Pretty soon you won’t even find a pure internal combustion engine in the exotics.
    I would consider a Porsche more exotic than a Lotus. Lotus's current hot car has a Toyota Camry engine which doesn't sound all that exotic to me? Given current Porsche price points in excess of $200K I at least see them as exotic. Anything 911 with a GT in it's name blows right past that even at a base levels and they are nearly impossible to get. All indicators of exotics.

According to Car and Driver Porshe engineers were quoted as saying they wish Americans would get over their delusions about manual transmissions. The PDK is superior in every way and if not for the US there would not be any manuals left in Porsche vehicles.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!