Likes Likes:  4,393
Page 471 of 657 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521571 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 6564

Thread: The cars and bikes thread!

What made the tip tarnish like that? It looks like Florida hard water crust.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Been polishing the pipes with autosol. Needs elbow grease. Awkward position.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    What made the tip tarnish like that? It looks like Florida hard water crust.
    Not me!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

0000 wire wool sorted most of the rest. Damn I love polishing things. Name:  20210609_180859.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  54.5 KB

This endeth my polshathon this time round.

Calcium and salt are used during winters and maybe something else. These are a reasonably high concentration that may be on the metal for extended periods in the winter. You don't need to be on the coast to be exposed to salt.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

0000 wire wool sorted most of the rest. Damn I love polishing things. Name:  20210609_180859.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  54.5 KB

This endeth my polshathon this time round.
    Looks like you missed a spot.

6. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Oh for sure. I'd be there forever though.

When we moved into our condo from the house, the bride and I thought we could do with one car, so, I traded in my 5 series BMW and got her an Audi Q5.

That worked for a bit, but when I took the last job, I needed a car to get back and forth to the office a couple times per month - so, I bought a runabout VW Jetta - six speed manual and tiny motor, but it obviously was not a thrilling machine, nor did I need one, just wanted basic transportation.

That didn't work.

Yesterday, I bought the Jetta GLI with the dual clutch auto. I know, I wanted a manual, but this car, in this color, it's about as rare as a Daytona at an AD, plus, the DCT is two ticks faster.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 4.49.59 PM.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  52.1 KB

Quite an upgrade - from 148 to 228 bhp and 184 to 258 pound feet of torque. Multi link suspension vs torsion bar rear suspension, it handles like a dream. Pulls almost a G on the skidpad on AS rubber, I might get summers, we'll see. .

I'll drive it for a couple of weeks, but then, it goes into the shop for an APR stage 2 ECU and TCU tune as well as replacing or adding the following;

Diverter valve upgrade
    New ignition coils
    New spark plugs
    New down pipe
    Not sure of the extent, but at least a cat back exhaust - might try to eliminate the cat - we'll see.
    Cold air intake

All in all, I should be having this fairly close to 385bhp in no time.

Maybe some suspension mods, but it's already damned good - handles so well but compliant for the nasty roads around here too. I've never been one to "lower" the vehicle, I don't like the way it looks most of the time and this one rides low to begin with (.6" lower than the standard Jetta). Maybe corner braces and an engine brace - we will see.

Anyway, picking it up tomorrow - and even though it's not a BMW, Audi, Jaguar, or other great car, I believe I'll be quite happy running rings around them.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jun 14, 2021 at 09:34 PM.

9. Likes tribe125, mlcor, litlmn, geoffbot, Samanator, Raza liked this post
    and it came back on the market! I should wait until I've collected and checked there's nothing glaringly wrong with it but I'm too excited (and I don't care about small stone chips etc). Just paid for this. The advert has now been deleted because I bought it - this is the only picAttachment 108461
    Just seeing this as I'm not here often. Congrats, Geoff - a very sweet ride and the color is spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    When we moved into our condo from the house, the bride and I thought we could do with one car, so, I traded in my 5 series BMW and got her an Audi Q5.

That worked for a bit, but when I took the last job, I needed a car to get back and forth to the office a couple times per month - so, I bought a runabout VW Jetta - six speed manual and tiny motor, but it obviously was not a thrilling machine, nor did I need one, just wanted basic transportation.

That didn't work.

Yesterday, I bought the Jetta GLI with the dual clutch auto. I know, I wanted a manual, but this car, in this color, it's about as rare as a Daytona at an AD, plus, the DCT is two ticks faster.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 4.49.59 PM.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  52.1 KB

Quite an upgrade - from 148 to 228 bhp and 184 to 258 pound feet of torque. Multi link suspension vs torsion bar rear suspension, it handles like a dream. Pulls almost a G on the skidpad on AS rubber, I might get summers, we'll see. .

I'll drive it for a couple of weeks, but then, it goes into the shop for an APR stage 2 ECU and TCU tune as well as replacing or adding the following;

Diverter valve upgrade
    New ignition coils
    New spark plugs
    New down pipe
    Not sure of the extent, but at least a cat back exhaust - might try to eliminate the cat - we'll see.
    Cold air intake

All and all, I should be having this fairly close to 385bhp in no time.

Maybe some suspension mods, but it's already damned good - handles so well but compliant for the nasty roads around here too. I've never been one to "lower" the vehicle, I don't like the way it looks most of the time and this one rides low to begin with (.6" lower than the standard Jetta). Maybe corner braces and an engine brace - we will see.

Anyway, picking it up tomorrow - and even though it's not a BMW, Audi, Jaguar, or other great car, I believe I'll be quite happy running rings around them.
    Oh, that’s gonna be a nice ride (well, it already is). We’ll expect a full report when the mods are done. Including auto cross performance, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Oh, that’s gonna be a nice ride (well, it already is). We’ll expect a full report when the mods are done. Including auto cross performance, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Full report, but no auto cross - I know better. It's going to be hard enough to not get myself into traffic ticket hell as it is. I drive, as the bride says, "with spirit".

That translates into "too fast".

14. Likes mlcor liked this post