Likes Likes:  4,414
Page 472 of 661 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482522572 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,720 of 6606

Thread: The cars and bikes thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Full report, but no auto cross - I know better. It's going to be hard enough to not get myself into traffic ticket hell as it is. I drive, as the bride says, "with spirit".

That translates into "too fast".
    "Con brio!"

2. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    When we moved into our condo from the house, the bride and I thought we could do with one car, so, I traded in my 5 series BMW and got her an Audi Q5.

That worked for a bit, but when I took the last job, I needed a car to get back and forth to the office a couple times per month - so, I bought a runabout VW Jetta - six speed manual and tiny motor, but it obviously was not a thrilling machine, nor did I need one, just wanted basic transportation.

That didn't work.

Yesterday, I bought the Jetta GLI with the dual clutch auto. I know, I wanted a manual, but this car, in this color, it's about as rare as a Daytona at an AD, plus, the DCT is two ticks faster.

Attachment 108983

Quite an upgrade - from 148 to 228 bhp and 184 to 258 pound feet of torque. Multi link suspension vs torsion bar rear suspension, it handles like a dream. Pulls almost a G on the skidpad on AS rubber, I might get summers, we'll see. .

I'll drive it for a couple of weeks, but then, it goes into the shop for an APR stage 2 ECU and TCU tune as well as replacing or adding the following;

Diverter valve upgrade
    New ignition coils
    New spark plugs
    New down pipe
    Not sure of the extent, but at least a cat back exhaust - might try to eliminate the cat - we'll see.
    Cold air intake

All and all, I should be having this fairly close to 385bhp in no time.

Maybe some suspension mods, but it's already damned good - handles so well but compliant for the nasty roads around here too. I've never been one to "lower" the vehicle, I don't like the way it looks most of the time and this one rides low to begin with (.6" lower than the standard Jetta). Maybe corner braces and an engine brace - we will see.

Anyway, picking it up tomorrow - and even though it's not a BMW, Audi, Jaguar, or other great car, I believe I'll be quite happy running rings around them.
    Very cool. I have all of the above except the down pipe on my A4. Make sure you turn on the speed warning....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Just seeing this as I'm not here often. Congrats, Geoff - a very sweet ride and the color is spot on!
    Thanks brother! I'm enjoying it.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Anyway, picking it up tomorrow - and even though it's not a BMW, Audi, Jaguar, or other great car, I believe I'll be quite happy running rings around them.
    Dope. I'm not a badge snob - was seriously considering the golf r for a while. I'd have got a kia stinger if they were markedly cheaper and as good as the M4, but alas...

Anyway, that looks wicked. Keen to see pics.

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Dope. I'm not a badge snob - was seriously considering the golf r for a while. I'd have got a kia stinger if they were markedly cheaper and as good as the M4, but alas...

Anyway, that looks wicked. Keen to see pics.
    As much good press as Kia and Hyundai get, I'm still not convinced they are as reliable as Japanese cars nor perform as well as German offerings. I don't want to have that bias - but a good example was when Genesis/Hyundai first arrived in the states and the press was going all gaga over them, then, two years later I read an article in Road & Track saying "they never quite got to the level of the best German road cars, not even close".

Bmws are hideously unreliable! But superb when they work. Kia gets a 7 year warranty I believe which is nice. But like I say they really have to be a whole lot better than a bimmer (unlikely) or way cheaper, which, preowned, the stinger is not.

10. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    We have been beating around the one car thing for a few years now, but I'm a bit fearful to bring it up with Lisa. If we do then it needs to be a decent size SUV or maybe even a wagon and her car needs to go. That will be beyond a difficult conversation. More likely the one would need to be a Lexus RX350 AWD which is nice, but it is a lot of compromise in cargo room for style.

After canceling my Bronco orders I'm curious to see those on the road which should be happening in July some time since the boards had mid June production dates for some of the members. Maybe wait a 6-8 months and then try to order one once the surge has died down. I like the vehicle I just don't see the retail price on something so small being this much. It makes the LR Defender 110 look more like a bargin...Well almost but it is too tall for my garage.

Last night I was shocked I found myself configuring a Corvette. The special order Rapid blue with natural leather seats looks fantastic or white with red seats at a 2LT trim level with Z51 package and Magnetic suspension . There seems to be quite a few sitting at dealers within 100 miles so maybe a deal can be had? This would be a terrible second car choice, but a lot of fun. My head snaps around every time I see one of these on the road even a few years after release. They did a good job, and the numbers mean I don't need more than the base to enjoy it. I don't see it happening though.
    Last edited by Samanator; Jun 14, 2021 at 04:14 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

12. Likes geoffbot, wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Last night I was shocked I found myself configuring a Corvette. The special order Rapid blue with natural leather seats looks fantastic or white with red seats at a 2LT trim level with Z51 package and Magnetic suspension . There seems to be quite a few sitting at dealers within 100 miles so maybe a deal can be had?
    I wonder why? People bought them for speculation purposes?

What this?!

Name:  maxresdefault (2).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  101.6 KB

Yeah - buy that.

15. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    What this?!

Name:  maxresdefault (2).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  101.6 KB

Yeah - buy that.
    Yes exactly that except the wheels. I like the standard wheels which are much easier to keep clean. Just can't carry a Kayak and a Paddle board on the roof, 50lbs dog food bags or trees and plants from the garden store. Not the vehicle I need.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!