Likes Likes:  4,393
Page 341 of 657 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351391441 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 6564

Thread: The cars and bikes thread!

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    You can flip most modern (and old) bikes from a dig, I don't see much difference.

Is there a "clutch"? When we learned to drag race, to be fast you had to twist the grip to the stop as soon as the lights dropped. We use the clutch to control wheelspin/wheelies. Easy on a slow bike, a little harder when we got more powerful bikes
    Most electrics have no transmission. They do not show the left handlebar so I don't know if there is some kind of clutch. My quess is it would be just an engage or disengage shifter and like the cars everything is throttle controlled. I don't see these even having regenerative braking unless it is being done by the motor at off throttle with input from the foot brake to the rear wheel.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I'm really not on board with all those batteries. Just yesterday I got news of a family friend's son being burned beyond recognition when his Tesla caught fire and then crashed (reports are fuzzy on the sequence, but the my mom was told that the police said the car caught fire before the impact), leaving no chance at a rescue. The car reignited for hours after the crash, which is typical for battery fires. You just can't put them out. Sure, gasoline is plenty flammable, but Fisker, for example, basically went out of business because they couldn't keep their cars from catching fire.
    That is very sad. However, it's the first I've heard or tesla battery fires so I don't think they can be that common?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That is very sad. However, it's the first I've heard or tesla battery fires so I don't think they can be that common?
    There were a couple house fires/cars burning down during charging when the Model S first hit the market I seem to remember.

However I think anything like that has more to do with questionable qc at Tesla then it being electric. I havent heard of any fires from say a Nissan Leaf.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Was your friend around my area? I saw that in the news. Sorry to hear about this.

Musk talked about a swappable battery years ago but has never delivered upon it. This was primarily to solve the charging time issue (and battery life) but I could see it addressing the post-crash safety issues if they can separate the two(car and battery). Tesla uses lithium-ion batteries that are supposed to have some of the best construction for cell joining and electrical busses. Others have used both lead-acid and NiMH (Toyota has used both and has not had the same issues...they do not Lithium-ion). I think the other factor that may be at play here is the Tesla supercharger. Pushing charging too much can break things down to the point they explode. If you read the engineering analysis of the Model 3 they tore down you find there are many glaring mistakes in Teslas that would never happen at a seasoned auto company. The cars all have some glaring flaws in build quality. They did feel though the batteries were constructed very well, so this takes me back to the charging. Also when a friend took me for a ride in a dual motor S in the ludicrous mode they heat the batteries for a long period before(like 50 minutes) you can use it. This did not seem to make sense, but I've never really dealt with lithium-ion batteries. Most other electric vehicles concentrate on cooling the batteries. So there may be several things conspiring here.
    Yes, that was him.

There’s something about the Tesla batteries that I believe make them more prone to exploding or catching fire. I don’t think I’d even get in one at this point.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    It’s happened several times that I’ve heard of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    That's horrible news. Sorry, Raza.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    It’s happened several times that I’ve heard of.
    There are a few reported (close to 45 total). Just looking at our area this is the second that has caught fire over the period of a year in South Florida.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 27, 2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

The cars and bikes thread!

Apparently also on this past Sunday a Model X ( the SUV model)up in Vermont that hit a rock while traversing a frozen lake to go ice fishing burned to the ground. Fortunately no one was in this one when it burned up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pop...-vermont-lake/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Blog Entries
    Apparently also on this past Sunday a Model X ( the SUV model)up in Vermont that hit a rock while traversing a frozen lake to go ice fishing burned to the ground. Fortunately no one was in this one when it burned up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pop...-vermont-lake/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's terrifying.

There are a few reported (close to 45 total). Just looking at our area this is the second that has caught fire over the period of a year in South Florida
    One can only drop one's jaw as to how much noxious pollution these battery fires cause.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffBot
    However, it's the first I've heard or tesla battery fires so I don't think they can be that common?
    You don't get out much GB ?

Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869