Likes Likes:  4,425
Page 442 of 664 FirstFirst ... 342392432440441442443444452492542 ... LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,420 of 6636

Thread: The cars and bikes thread!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    The Tremac 6sp manual is actually a very good transmission. It's used in several very good GT and sports cars including all the versions of C7 Corvettes that had manual options. I've driven a 2019 Shelby GT350 Mustang and it was fantastic which only comes with the 6sp manual. I do not get the notchy comment verses most BMW manual I've driven which have never been that good. As far as the performance this may explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25ordkIfgM

Based on the three Mustang GT in my neighborhood I also don't get the quiet comment either. Though put it next to a GT 350 or 500 and it will seem quiet. As far as the handling you need to check performance pack 2 box which includes magna Ride shocks and Brembo brakes. Performance Pack 1 will probably address your complaints at a lot less money.

Try and find an older one about the gearing. I do not know what options are available in the UK.
    I haven't driven the newer generation Mustang yet, so I can't comment from experience about the gearbox, but I do believe the Tremec box you're talking about isn't in the standard GT, only the Shelby. According to the article I just read, the Coyote 5.0 is paired to a Getrag manual. They didn't comment any further, though.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

I should probably try to drive a modern Mustang. The only Stangs I have driven are Fox body 5.0, SN95 V8 convertible and a New Edge. All of them were complete trash.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Not much faster than your 328i? This runs an M4 close for 0-60 and 1/4 mile, mate.

As for feeling wallowy, that may be true. Which trim is it? These things really need the Performance Pack 2. Remember, they sell a Mustang for everyone, so base models are often more comfortable and need some options packages to get the most out of it.
    0-60 on mine is 5.6 and 14 second quarter mile, and on that it's 4.8 and 13 so....not that much quicker considering its a bloody 5l v8 vs a 2 litre 4 pot! And deffo not worth the 50% fuel economy.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I haven't driven the newer generation Mustang yet, so I can't comment from experience about the gearbox, but I do believe the Tremec box you're talking about isn't in the standard GT, only the Shelby. According to the article I just read, the Coyote 5.0 is paired to a Getrag manual. They didn't comment any further, though.
    My searches show Tremac, but I don't know that I trust that. Ford performance sells a modified version of the Tremac 6sp for mating to most of their crate motors, but it is not clear what is in the current Mustang to me. When they were still 5 speed I do know they were Tremac. Would seem a shame if they went to Getrag. I do know the Shelby GT 350 had the Tremac, and it was nearly perfect around the track.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    0-60 on mine is 5.6 and 14 second quarter mile, and on that it's 4.8 and 13 so....not that much quicker considering its a bloody 5l v8 vs a 2 litre 4 pot! And deffo not worth the 50% fuel economy.
    First of all, 4.8 to 5.6 is a HUGE difference. That is a visceral difference, you can definitely feel that. Put a car that runs those numbers against one that runs your numbers and you would feel hopeless in a race.

Second of all, most 0-60s I’ve seen for the Mustang GT are more like 4.2 and 12.2 for the 1/4.

6. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My searches show Tremac, but I don't know that I trust that. Ford performance sells a modified version of the Tremac 6sp for mating to most of their crate motors, but it is not clear what is in the current Mustang to me. When they were still 5 speed I do know they were Tremac. Would seem a shame if they went to Getrag. I do know the Shelby GT 350 had the Tremac, and it was nearly perfect around the track.
    This is what I found:
    "The GT's six-speed is a Getrag unit, while the GT350's stouter gearbox comes from Tremec, with each transmission having unique gear sets tailored to the very different engines."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-shelby-gt350/

First of all, 4.8 to 5.6 is a HUGE difference. That is a visceral difference, you can definitely feel that. Put a car that runs those numbers against one that runs your numbers and you would feel hopeless in a race.

Second of all, most 0-60s I’ve seen for the Mustang GT are more like 4.2 and 12.2 for the 1/4.
    Didn't feel like it. I'm sure had I come from a 320 I'd have been impressed but alas not.

Didn't feel like it. I'm sure had I come from a 320 I'd have been impressed but alas not.
    Feel like it is not really a measure. Not always, but in most cases smoother is faster. It just does not feel faster to our minds and our butts. Turbo fours always tend to feel more powerful then they really are. My 550 hp Jaguar F-Type R by the magazines did 0-60 in about 3.1 seconds, and my neighbors 650hp C7 Corvette Z06 does it in 2.9. Rinding in the two by feel you would believe his Z06 is a second to a second and a half faster because it is so brutal it hurts my eyes(seriously). The Jag was deceptively smooth so while a bit slower (.2 seconds) it does not feel remotely as fast. Then my ride in a Mclaren 720S which is .2seconds faster than the Z06 does not feel nearly as fast as as the Corvette because like the Jag it is smooth. So you can feel fast and be slow, or actually be fast and not feel it.

If you really want that feel fast thing in a Mustang then I suggest you hunt down a Shelby GT350R. If that does not feel fast then you're dead. Note that it does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, but it sounds like it is twice as loud as a GT as it screams to nearly 9000rpm.
    Last edited by Samanator; Jul 8, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Perhaps the Mustang's weight dulled the sensation a bit, but .8 seconds in 0-60 is an eternity.

Feel like it is not really a measure. Not always, but in most cases smoother is faster. It just does not feel faster to our minds and our butts.
    Feel is all I care about - I'm not a drag racer!

Maybe I should get an elise.

I had a ride in my mate's 4c the other day - 1.7l 4 pot and it sounds like a nascar! Weighs 950kg - the interior is pure carbon fibre, no carpet. Great fun.