Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GOOD MANNERS, and ADDRESSING PEOPLE

GOOD MANNERS, and ADDRESSING PEOPLE

To be honest, I REALLY think we should STOP using first names with strangers -- online or face-to-face.

This abominable "American democratic" practice does nothing to being people closer, or make them friendlier.
    On the contrary.
    In general, it only encourages people skip the 'familiarity' part, and to jump right into the mutual contempt phase, thereby making themselves "contemptible" in the process.

Our forebears knew something we no longer do: distance makes polite, and confers dignity to all.
    I am all for addressing all adults anywhere by their surnames, with the gender-appropriate title.

I am even MORE eager for this return in classrooms in universities.
    Students calling their profs by their first names is an abomination.
    And the profs should also be encouraged to call upper year students using Ms. and Mr. until they have become close for reasons of academic affinity, rather than just hallway recognition.

If I could, I really actually would do this, but dammit, people are always so eager to be so dang "democratic" as if we all live and grew up in the same village: "No, call me Bob!"

Last edited by Chronopolitano; Dec 3, 2014 at 04:01 PM.

2. Likes vinylgreek, BlackNomad liked this post
    Why are you such an angry man, Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    To be honest, I REALLY think we should STOP using first names with strangers -- online or face-to-face.

This abominable "American democratic" practice does nothing to being people closer, or make them friendlier.
    On the contrary.
    In general, it only encourages people skip the 'familiarity' part, and to jump right into the mutual contempt phase, thereby making themselves "contemptible" in the process.

Our forebears knew something we no longer do: distance makes polite, and confers dignity to all.
    I am all for addressing all adults anywhere by their surnames, with the gender-appropriate title.

If I could, I really actually would do this, but dammit, people are always so eager to be so dang "democratic" as if we all live and grew up in the same village: "No, call me Bob!"

i wondered how long it would last -you are morphing back into Chronopolis

5. Likes Chronopolitano, popoki nui, jsw41 liked this post

7. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Why are you such an angry man, Tom?
    Mr. Montaigne, what kinda first name is M anyway?
    Are ya even Christian and/or American?

9. Likes M. Montaigne, Nokie liked this post

On the contrary.

I am even MORE eager for this return in classrooms in universities.
    Students calling their profs by their first names is an abomination.
    And the profs should also be encouraged to call upper year students using Ms. and Mr. until they have become close for reasons of academic affinity, rather than just hallway recognition.

Yo bro, you need ta chill.

11. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    Yo bro, you need ta chill.
    I was trying to find a word I could partially replace by a number, like Sk8m but Im not hip like that. Sorry.
    Last edited by bolaberlim; Dec 3, 2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: I meant word

I can totally imagine getting banned for starting this thread.
    By Ray and Jeannie, of course.

14. Likes M. Montaigne, popoki nui, Nokie liked this post
    I can totally imagine getting banned for starting this thread.
    By Ray and Jeannie, of course.

16. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I like that kinky head gear! German, latex, probably?

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I have a "Made in China" lapel pin to prove it.

Attachment 3150

18. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post